Heartburn? or is it?

abosco627
on 12/14/15 1:31 pm

does anyone else get a "heartburn" feeling? I am 7 weeks post op VSG. I lost 36 pounds so far. I asked my nut and she said that it could be gas, that I should not get "heartburn" she told me to eat a couple of teaspoons of crushed pineapple in my greek yogurt. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

LeapSecond
on 12/14/15 2:28 pm - AR

I had only had heartburn a dozen times in my life until surgery.  I take a over the counter pepcid (H2 blocker) every night or I get heartburn/ reflux/ GERD. Why does your NUT think that you should not have it.  It is one of the documented side effects of the surgery.  If it is bad you might want to let your doc know and they might want to prescribe a PPI.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/15 3:07 pm

Heartburn, reflux, etc... is one of the most common side effects of the VSG - especially early out. I'm guessing your NUT thinks you had RNY, which alleviates reflux. VSG is a high pressure closed system and can greatly exacerbate acid reflux issues or create the issue if it was not present prior to surgery. Untreated reflux can be very damaging to your health. Contact your surgeon and bypass the NUT at this point. Your issue is not something that should be minimized. 

abosco627
on 12/14/15 3:19 pm

Thanks so much to you both for your replies! I am going to call my doctor in the morning and see if he can prescribe something. Best of luck to you both on your journey!

stacyrg
on 12/15/15 10:07 am
VSG on 05/12/14

Your NUT is nuts.  I don't know where she came up with her idea that you shouldn't get heartburn.  It happens to sleeve patients post surgery.  I never had regular heartburn or acid reflux before surgery, but I am suffering (and I mean suffering) with it now.  I'm on 80 mg of a PPI a day along with a Zantac before bedtime all to control my acid, and we're doing additional tests to see if there is a more permanent solution to my problem.  If you feel heartburn consistently, and aren't on a PPI, you should definitely have it checked out either by your surgeon or your primary care doctor.  Also I've never heard of eating pineapple to cure gas.  AND, if you're having heartburn or acid reflux, the last thing you want to do is eat food that is acidic and could contribute to the problem.  Good luck, I hope your NUT is right and it's just gas!

Most Active
Recent Topics