What does full feel like?

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/15 10:17 am

Day 1 on soft foods. Doc said i should feel a pressure in my chest when i get full. I dont feel pressure there. I feel more bloaty and pressure right below my bra. Is that what he means? They want me eating 3 to 4 oz each meal, and im only able to do 2 oz if that is indeed my full. 

Disclaimer.....i have esophogeal spasms so can mimic the full feeling a bit.

Bufflehead
on 12/18/15 11:11 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

That sounds like full to me.

I wasn't able to eat three ounces of food until I was at least a year post-op -- I think what you are experiencing there is pretty normal too. Good luck!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/18/15 12:13 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You won't feel "full" for several weeks.  The nerves in your stomach were severed and it takes time for them to heal.  Then you'll feel true restriction.

Right now your sleeve is still swollen from surgery.  Make sure you eat VERY SLOWLY and SMALL BITES during this time period.  Eat enough to get all of your protein in, but don't pu**** just because they recommended that you eat a certain amount.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

cappy11448
on 12/18/15 2:31 pm

I didn't have a sense of feeling full for a  long time after surgery.  At first, my nose would start running - and that was the way I could tell I was full.  Over some months,  I'd  be able to recognize a sensation that I shouldn't swallow another bite, but it didn't map to a feeling of fullness. 

For most of my time post surgery, I ate by weight and volume, rarely reaching a "full" state.  When I'd over-eat, I'd be very uncomfortable. 

Now that I'm 2 year post op, I can tell if I'm full, but I still under-eat my sleeve most of the time.

best of luck figuring this out. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 12/18/15 6:00 pm

It takes a while for you and your new sleeve to get acquainted, especially during the food transition stages. If you feel pressure just below your sternum, you're full, even if it takes only 2 ounces to do it.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Karen D.
on 12/19/15 3:09 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I'm almost 4 weeks post op.  For me, I get a slight hiccup and then I know no more.  One night last week I don't know if I missed the hiccup or it never happened at all but I kind had a sensation of maybe food "backing up" in my throat.  I had a lapband for a long time and that sensation was familiar to me so I think I overate.  I can do 2-3 ounces but I'm on pureed so everything is mush anyway.  I don't think I get pressure in my chest at all.  If you can only do 2, I wouldn't pu**** you don't want to throw up.

Oneillch
on 12/19/15 5:58 pm, edited 12/19/15 9:57 am
VSG on 02/04/15

Of course you need to get your protein in, but at this stage you're still going to be supplementing most of it with your shakes or protein powder. Also, no one says you have to have your meals all in one sitting. You can spread them out, but be sure to keep track or at some point you may find yourself eating too many calories.

And for me I know I'm full when I feel a pressure above my abdomen & below my breastbone. It's the best feeling in the world because before my VSG, I never knew what full felt like! 

Skinnyminne86
on 12/20/15 10:56 pm

Full is that feeling of uncomfortable. I only let myself eat until I am satisfied. If that means half a turkey sandwich then it's half a turkey sandwich!!! I just wish I could stop losing!! I am good at where I am at 168 lbs and 5'11" but my bony wants to lose more. I don't know what to ti

Most Active
Recent Topics