Weight gain???

deerowin
on 12/17/15 1:25 pm

I am 9 weeks post op.  Between week 7 and 8 I gained 4 pounds, and during the next week I gained another .4 lb.  This concerns me because I looked back at my food journal and it is inconceivable that I could even gain an ounce let alone 4 lbs.  I got released from my surgeon with no restrictions on week 7 so I did increase my level of exercise.  I am still only eating approx 400 to 600 calories a day if I am lucky.  My surgeon was concerned with my blood pressure because it was low, I am on a couple of blood pressure meds and my regular doc does not want to have me come in for a prescription check up until I am at 3 months post.  So...I decided that I would take things into my own hands and the surgeon thought I would be alright.  I stopped taking my bp meds and along with that I also stopped taking the water pills as well.  After a week I noticed that I did have a little swelling in my lower legs and feet so I started taking my water pills again, and actually got nervous about the bp meds too.  I went back on one of the bp meds to see if that would make a difference.  Keep in mind my blood pressure has always maintained at the proper 120/80 without the meds.  So my question to the forum, has anyone ever had this happen and does anyone have a clue what my next move is?  Can it be muscle gain due to increased exercising? OR water gain?  I scaled myself on Monday and saw the additional .4 but on Tuesday I scaled again and I showed that I had lost 1 pound.  Confused and Discouraged.  I have way to far to go for this to be happening.  Please advise.  All comments are welcomed.  Thank you in advance.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/17/15 2:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's water. It cannot be muscle. If you trained like an Olympic athlete you might gain one pound of muscle in a month. Maybe. But if you are new to hard exercise, inflammation will cause fluid retention.

Going off the water pills will definitely cause fluid retention.

STOP screwing with your meds! Going off, going back on, likely going off again. Let the doctor do that. Don't buy trouble.

If you are honestly eating as little as you say, just keep following that plan. And speaking of water, you might be better off if you chuck your scale in the river.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

deerowin
on 12/17/15 2:40 pm

Thank you for your reply and your honesty.  I just scheduled an apt for the 23rd.  My physician that I go to has never dealt with anyone that has this procedure.  It will be a learning experience for both of us.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/17/15 4:22 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If in doubt, call your surgeon; s/he has WAY more experience than your GP.

Any time you mess with medications, things are going to fluctuate. Give your body time to sort itself out (yeah, it's hard when you're glued to the scale) and things should settle down.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

deerowin
on 12/18/15 8:11 am

Thank you for your input.  I do only scale once a week usually.

Most Active
Recent Topics