How fast can a doc get the results from an Upper Gi?

happyteacher
on 12/15/15 3:26 pm

Ugh- the saga continues. Saw my surgeon today, and he got the results from the CT scan last night. I had previously been diagnosed with gallstones and need the gallbladder out. Surgeon said the CT found that I had a hiatel hernia. This was repaired during my vsg, but apparently "might" be an issue. Surgeon said it was odd that it came up on a CT and is questioning the diagnosis from the radiologist. My endoscopy a bit ago showed nothing, although the surgeon said it is possible it could miss it. Anyway, I scheduled my gallbladder surgery for Monday after absolutely begging this poor doctor. I am running out of sick days at work due to all of the surgeries over the last couple years, and the break will provide almost enough recovery time.

Anyway, got the date- but then the surgeon wants the results of an Upper GI before the surgery. I can't get an appointment within the Beaumont system, so I went via another hospital and it is scheduled Friday morning. Anyone know if it is feasible that the GI doc can fax results over by noon on Monday? Normally the surgeon would just look up the results on the Beaumont system, but this is a different hospital so no can do. Otherwise, I have to wait until Tuesday for a GI in the Beaumont system, and that just doesn't work.

Worse case is I will have the gallbladder out now and wait until summer for the hiatel hernia??? Seems like I should be able to wait, as much as I hate the idea of another surgery given the guy can do both at the same time if it is an issue. 

Any advice at all? It was rushed today, and I only just now (6:15 PM) was able to find a place to get me in- so I can't call the surgeon's office to make sure it will work.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

LS2dv8
on 12/15/15 4:19 pm

So sorry you are going through this issue.  I don't have any advice but wanted to wish you the best and

offer lots of hugs, so sorry 

LS2DV8

psychoticparrot
on 12/15/15 5:24 pm

If this is feasible for you, you might be able pick up and hand-deliver the x-rays yourself. I've done that myself at various times over the years for other medical problems. I don't know how much time there would be between the scan and the printed results. If they can do it the same day, and if you're willing to wait, they might double-time the process. Explain to whoever at the other hospital and hope for the best.

Good luck with your surgery, whether gall bladder alone or w/hernia repair.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 12/16/15 2:35 pm

I will ask about this- thank you!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

hollykim
on 12/15/15 5:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

yes, the radiologist can give him an immediate report after reading the scan,BUT the surgeon or his nurse will have to call and order the reading " stat" to get or right away.

alouisa63
on 12/15/15 5:58 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

You could always call around in the Beaumont system (with the two hospitals they just took over they can't get you in??) and see if you can be put on a waiting list in case someone cancels.  Otherwise I would see if the surgeon's office can call where you're having the test done and can get the results faster then you calling.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

happyteacher
on 12/16/15 2:32 pm

Tried that today, no luck. The irritating thing is that I am not eligible for appointments at any location that used to do Botsford patients because they have not linked up the computer systems yet. They refused to give me a direct number (my insurance can go anywhere). They were such jackasses about keeping me in their system that it ruled out a few places I might have been able to use and eventually the Beaumont docs would be able to pull up the info. It would not have helped in this situatuion, but perhaps down the road it would have made it easier. 

stacyrg
on 12/15/15 6:10 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had an upper GI a few weeks ago and the Radiologist told me when I was leaving that my surgeon would have the results that night.  It's definitely possible for them to do a "wet" read on the spot and get the surgeon a quick report.  Good luck with your Gallbladder surgery.  I had mine done in February of this year and it was a really quick recovery.  I think I missed a total of 2 days of work!

happyteacher
on 12/16/15 2:33 pm

I am prepared to beg. I know they will know what the results are in time, it is just a matter of getting them to the surgeon in time. Thanks for letting me know the turnaround though, it will help when I start to beg!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/15/15 8:09 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I have no answers for you, but I'll swing a chicken.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics