has this happened to anyone else ?

WDP
on 12/15/15 12:37 pm - Canada

It`s been about 5 and half years since my VSG ,I have maintained my weight loss and have had not problems to this point. I just recently had a scope done as I`ve been having what I thought was bad heartburn, and it was discovered that the top of my stomach has expanded and is resting on my heart (hence the chest pain). So just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what if anything was done to correct it ? Thank you .

Kathy S.
on 12/15/15 2:58 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We are sorry to hear what you are going through!  Keep us posted please!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

psychoticparrot
on 12/15/15 5:36 pm

Yikes! Never heard of that before. I hope the condition is not dangerous. Keep us updated. Good luck.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

MaggieL
on 12/15/15 5:45 pm
WLS on 11/17/15

Haven't heard of such... 

Keep us posted!

jennyayers1
on 12/15/15 6:24 pm

Did they say that's dangerous? What Is the course of action they plan to take? I hope all Is well, and I'm not sure if its common bc haven't gotten my sleeve yet. Best of luck

WDP
on 12/16/15 8:30 am - Canada

Nothing more was said after I was given the info and just told to see my surgeon . I`m anxious for my follow up needless to say .

frisco
on 12/15/15 10:45 pm

Stomach stretching in various degrees at the top of the sleeve is actually very common and a big reason for post VSG reflux.

Since the VSG is a non standardized procedure, many surgeons are not clued into food flow and the finer points and longer term effects of this procedure. Technique and surgical skillz come into play in a procedure that most are led to believe is just a staple line and any "cutter" can do it. 

To create a proper shaped sleeve the surgeon needs to be able cut a curved shape with an instrument that lays down straight staples and the sleeve needs to end up flat to avoid twisting

A proper sleeve is supposed to be cut/trimmed pretty narrow at the top and bottom of the sleeve.

When to much tissue is left up top it "can" cause food to bulge and collect.

My non professional thought (I'm not a doctor) from your description is that your going to need to have your sleeved trimmed.

Hope this helps.

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

WDP
on 12/16/15 8:16 am - Canada

Thank You for the input, I am guessing that will be what is suggested when I see MY DR for the follow up. It does make me feel a bit better that it is something that does occur.

ubserved
on 12/15/15 11:08 pm

I'm a little curious, the stomach is below the heart, it's been a long time since anatomy class when I went through EMT training, I had to look up the anatomy chart lol. How could part of it be resting on top of the heart? I would definitely get a second opinion if that was a doctor's diagnosis, especially if surgery is recommended. Good luck to you.

WDP
on 12/16/15 8:28 am, edited 12/16/15 3:07 am - Canada

Hi , That was what the Gastroscopy showed and , ya I know it sounds a bit odd, but the expanded part at the top of my sleeve could be seen

" pulsing " with my heart in that area only . and when I saw the  sketch of what they saw it made sense even with what I know as a nurse. , but yes I will be getting a second opinion if I`m not happy or comfortable with the follow up appointment . Thank you for suggesting that.  I also thought I should request to see a cardiologist for an opinion on course of action.

Most Active
Recent Topics