Thinking of backing out. Feel like failure and not mentally prepared. Anyone else done this?

Debbie R.
on 12/9/15 3:32 pm - Las Cruces, NM

Nerves are normal but you have to be sure you are 100% ready for a new lifestyle. Good Luck! You'll be just fine!!

happyteacher
on 12/9/15 3:33 pm

Preop jitters are really normal. It is tough to tell on our end by what you mean when you say you are not ready- could you be specific about the parts you think are stopping you from being ready? As others mentioned, the preop diet is a rough go of it and just another smack in the face so to speak about how many times we have tried and failed at dieting. Don't get me wrong, adhere to it and lose everything you can, but please know it was not easy for any of us... nor were all of us 100% perfect on it. It is really hard to wrap your head around what it will feel like post surgery- but the restriction and hunger will be either completely gone or nearly so. Sticking to the phases post op is what you really must be ready for- that is not something you want to mess up or you risk causing a leak or hurting yourself. So- specifics?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

NYMom222
on 12/9/15 8:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I don't know if there is a way to know if you are definitively 'ready'. I too kept telling myself I could change my mind even if I was already at the hospital. It is scary. I also told myself if I was going to make this much of a drastic change, I was making it my job. Go to follow-up appointments, Do what you are supposed to do, Go to support groups... whatever it took.

If you look on here, most people are happy they did the surgery even though it is not a magic wand and there is still a struggle. Better to struggle at a normal weight than MO.

Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

KeishaLeigh
on 12/9/15 10:49 pm - NC
VSG on 02/24/15 with

I first started the process 3 years ago. After doing almost all of my required months for insurance, I backed out. I just was not ready to make the commitment.  Do I wish I had done it back then? I really think I made the best decision for me at the time. It is a lot of life changes that you have to be prepared for and I wasn't ready. Now, honestly, I do wish that I was already at goal ..but I wouldn't change how I have gotten to this point. At all.

The biggest thing is to be honest with yourself. Are you just scared of surgery like most of us are? Or are you really not ready to commit to a new lifestyle.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Keisha

38 y.o. 5'7" HW 347 SW 332 M1 -22 M2 -18 M3 -19 M4 -9 M5 -18 M6 -11 M7 -13 M8-9 M9 -7 M10 -8 M11 -5 M12 -1 M13 -9 M14 -0 

Onion
on 12/10/15 5:54 am

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I have decided I am not mentally ready for this step (as it is a very big one). I am going to postpone the surgery until I have mentally prepared myself for everything about it by taking steps I should have been taking the whole time including therapy, support groups, etc.

Best of luck to you all, and if and when I decide to do this, I will most definitely let you all know.

D

Spencerella
on 12/10/15 9:47 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm glad you've had the insight and maturity to stop the process until you're ready. That takes guts. Too many people move forward without being prepared to do everything it takes. The surgery will be there when you're ready to maximize it. Best of luck to you. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

psychoticparrot
on 12/10/15 10:18 am

Sorry to hear you're postponing your surgery, Onion. I'm not sure what you mean by having the right "mindset." If you mean you want to wait until you feel no fear when the surgery date looms near, you'll never be ready.

Everyone of us was (rightfully) fearful and nervous about the surgery and the new way of life that follows. It's a life-changing step to take, but there's no way to completely prepare for it except to plunge in and do it. 

You listed your reasons for wanting surgery -- lifelong obesity and the beginning of some health problems (at least that's what I gather when you say you're in "OK" health). These are very good reasons. You've apparently thought it through, and come up with a reasonable plan of action, i.e. VSG surgery.

Fear is never a good reason to prevent taking a positive action to improve your health.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Onion
on 12/10/15 10:35 am

I'm not sorry at all! You shouldn't be either. I am taking the right step here for me. I am glad that the surgery works out well for a lot of people. It still may in my future. Thanks for your concern.

Most Active
Recent Topics