Sleep Apnea Concerns

Karen H.
on 12/9/15 3:53 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Here's my experience..... I had moderate sleep apnea before having my VSG surgery. I just went back to my sleep doctor to see if I had sleep apnea now since I've lost 96 lbs. I also have reached my goal with this weight loss. I did the oxygen at home test and another home test by wearing the mask. I was told I still have mild sleep apnea. The sleep doctor said he has seen skinny people with terrible sleep apnea. He said about 65% of overweight people who have lost their weight no longer have sleep apnea. I fell in the other 35%. I was so disappointed because I too, hate wearing the mask! I asked the doctor, what if I just wear it when I think I need it? He said by not wearing the mask, I stood a chance of high blood pressure, heart disease and since I would not be getting a good quality of sleep, it would slow down my weight loss and even cause weight gain. I had been at a 9 week stall during the time I was not using the machine. So, that explains me not losing a pound while not on the machine. The doctor told me about the difficulty of losing weight or possibly weight gain if I didn't use the machine "before" I said anything about a 9 week stall. I got back on it that night because I surely don't want to gain any of the weight back!

In your case, it sounds like you may need the pressure adjusted. I would definitely go back and tell them about your problem. Also, they are coming out with a new mask called the dream mask, I think. It only goes over the bottom of your nose. It is less stuff over your face. Maybe ask about that new mask that just came out. Good luck! Don't give up on the machine, it "can" be adjusted so you can breathe normally. :)

Karen

Dan1962
on 12/9/15 6:57 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I never used to snore unless I was drunk.  Then I hit 240# and snored badly most of the time.  Then as I got to 336#, I needed the CPAP machine as I had long periods of not breathing and massive snoring.  Had VSG and once I hit about 230#, machine was no longer needed.  Lose the weight and the machine will no longer be needed except in rare cir****tances.

psychoticparrot
on 12/10/15 10:58 am

Does your CPAP have a "ramp" function? The function starts the machine at a barely perceptible airflow and over the next 15 to 20 minutes slowly ramps up the volume till it reaches the full airflow volume. When you're not accustomed to a CPAP, this ramping-up of the airflow allows you to get comfortable and sleepy by the time it reaches full volume. If you're still awake, you can hit ramp as often as necessary until you fall asleep. I'm not sure I would ever have gotten used to the CPAP without it.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active
Recent Topics