Blue Shield of Ca insurance and approval for the VSG

gmjsgirl
on 12/9/15 9:33 am

Good morning all, 

I am new and am seeking to have the VSG. I have Blue Shield of California and was wondering how long it took from consultation to get approved? I am going to my Seminar and Consultation on the 16th. Back in 2009 i had BCBS of Illinois and was denied three times due to improper documentation of diet.  I finally gave up and now need this to be healthy. I have been on many diets since then where i lost weight but then put it right back on. I didnt necessarily always use a medical weight loss program. I have been on Weigh****chers, Medifast, Carb Essentials, Diet Free for life among many others. I lost but then the weight came back on and some. I am currently 301.4 pounds an 5'5" tall. Looks like a BMI of 50. I want to be healthy so i can see my grandchildren grow. I need help in what i should now that things have changed when it comes to insurances and weight loss surgery. Has anyone of you went thru Blue Shield of Ca in 2015 and how hard was it to get approval? I am going through Dr Ludwig at North Valley Surgical Associates in Chico Ca are there any of you that when thru there with Blue Shield of CA? I would love all the information i can get about everything regarding surgery, insurance approval, pre-op and post-op. Thank you and im looking forward to getting to know y'all on here. Be blessed.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 12/9/15 3:06 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Every employer and Blue Shield plan for bariatric surgery varies.  With that proviso, I have Blue Shield of California PPO. They required a six month supervised diet before they would approve the surgery.  The surgeon required that I undergo a cardiac stress test, sleep study, psychological evaluation and various other tests before they would clear me.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Neesie57
on 12/9/15 11:49 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I have Blue Shield of California. My first contact with the doctor was in February, 2015, and I had my surgery in August, 2015.  I would have had it in July, but my doctor's office lost my paperwork for almost a month.  

My doctor and insurance didn't require a 6 month supervised diet, he just wanted me to lose some weight before it was scheduled.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

gmjsgirl
on 12/10/15 5:45 am

Thank you Kindly! I appreciate it. 

Most Active
Recent Topics