For those who had gallbladder surgery, yes I know I should ask a doctor but...

happyteacher
on 12/9/15 4:18 pm

Seems like the pattern has been once a week (mild) and once a month for a more severe one... but not at death pain level. Both types cause nauseau and a dull ache, the more severe ones keep me out of work. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

emelar
on 12/8/15 8:38 am - TX

I had gallbladder attacks for a year or more before it went nuclear.  I didn't know that's what the attacks were.  At first they were mild and felt like heartburn, and they'd pass.  Over time, they got worse and more frequent.  At the end, I had acute pancreatitis and ended up in the hospital for a week on IV antibiotics before they'd even go in to pull the gallbladder out.

It's one of those things that can go bad on you at any time.  You may be perfectly ok waiting for your doc of choice, or you may not.  Worse case, if you get a bad flare-up, you go to the emergency room and have it done as emergency surgery.  I'd call the gastro and ask him why he thinks it's "emergent" and get his referral to another surgeon.  You can always choose to use whichever surgeon you prefer.  If your appointment with your favorite surgeon isn't until the 15th, your surgery isn't likely to be scheduled until sometime in January.  But the new surgeon's schedule may not be any more open!

-Flo-
on 12/8/15 8:49 am
DS on 04/11/16

I wouldn't wait. I remember the pain being horrible. I went to the ER, got admitted and had surgery within a few days. I can't imagine waiting longer. Good Luck to you.

paflyersgal
on 12/8/15 7:45 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I had my gallbladder taken out years ago, way before my WLS. I remember being really sick. I thought I was having a heart attack. My pains were bad. I could sit, sleep, walk, lay down.. And sometimes I couldn't even breathe. I ended up in the ER. The first time I went to the ER they said it was "food poisoning" the second time I ended up in the ER they claimed it was heartburn.. It wasn't until the third time I ended up in the ER that they finally did an ultra sound. Lucky for me they did, because my gallbladder was completely filled with stones and about to rupture. I ended up in the hospital for two weeks. It took them 7 days to bring all my levels down in order to eve think about operating. The surgeon told me that I could have died if it had burst. So, my advice to you is don't wait!! Find another  doctor if you have to, do what you must, because it could be fairly painful now, but you don't want it to get to the point of "maybe it could burst" I was lucky.. Don't wait if you don't have to.. It can get bad and it can get bad fast.. You just never know.

beat wishes always!!

Karen

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/8/15 7:54 pm

Yes, it is too long. Someone can probably get you in sooner. If they need a presurgery CT, you can get one, and a radiologist can read it right away. As HK said, you don't want to let this ride. I ended up going to a regular general surgeon. He did a fine job.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

happyteacher
on 12/9/15 4:07 pm

So thank you everyone for your input. I decided to wait until Tuesday with my regular doc, and he should be able to read the CT report. I am also doin as Hala suggested- minimal "volume" of food, low fat, predominantly  protein shakes and full liquid diet type options. The attacks are not as severe pain wise as others have experienced... yes they make me sick and vomit, but not death pain. The referring doc clearly does not want me waiting 3 months for surgery, but as other pointed out even if I switched docs I am not sure how much faster I would get anyway. The big thing will be when he can get the surgery done... this time that will be scheduled face-to-face and I am much better at negotiating time slots when people can see me compared to on the phone. Keeping my fingers crossed obviously, but it should be Ok. I have felt great the last couple of days- even the dull ache has subsided. Whatever is tender lower down is getting a little better as well. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

michellemj
on 12/10/15 8:07 am

Sounds like a good plan going forward. and yes, your surgeon and you have a relationship and he may be able to get you in. Gallbladder removal is a routine, quick procedure and often, several are scheduled on one day so maybe they can squeeze you in, esp. if you are flexible.

Glad you don't have the death pain! and hey, shakes and whatnot are a great way to drop a couple more pounds before the holiday. ;) Hang in there!

Most Active
Recent Topics