For those who had gallbladder surgery, yes I know I should ask a doctor but...

happyteacher
on 12/7/15 4:06 pm

I need surgery, and I was sent back to the guy that did my Vsg. Love that guy, so no issue there. He can't get me in though until the 15th. My gastro doc made it feel like if I had to wait much, to call him for a different doc. This is due to my asking "If Chengelis is booked up for a while with surgeries, is it Ok to hold off until his schedule clears?" The answer was no. So, a conundrum. Wait until the office visit, which is when they will schedule me at a future date or call my gastro doc to find someone else? Oh, and the appointment is on the 15th, and a CT scan on the 14th- hopefully the CT results will be ready to go by the surgeon appointment. I had abdominal tenderness under the area of the gallbladder. I am not real sure what the gastro doc is looking for on that, but I figure it makes sense that the surgeon knows what that is before diving in. 

So for those who had surgery- is this too long to wait? I feel fine at the moment, but am prone to the gallbladder acting up and clearly fall under the symptomatic category. It is enough of a problem that I don't eat solid food during work days, and gamble on it at night when I get home. I can't predict when it will trigger, unless I eat high fat food- then for sure it is a problem. 

So wait, or call for a different doc that I don't know?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

hollykim
on 12/7/15 8:07 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 8, 2015 at 12:06 AM Pacific Time, happyteacher wrote:

I need surgery, and I was sent back to the guy that did my Vsg. Love that guy, so no issue there. He can't get me in though until the 15th. My gastro doc made it feel like if I had to wait much, to call him for a different doc. This is due to my asking "If Chengelis is booked up for a while with surgeries, is it Ok to hold off until his schedule clears?" The answer was no. So, a conundrum. Wait until the office visit, which is when they will schedule me at a future date or call my gastro doc to find someone else? Oh, and the appointment is on the 15th, and a CT scan on the 14th- hopefully the CT results will be ready to go by the surgeon appointment. I had abdominal tenderness under the area of the gallbladder. I am not real sure what the gastro doc is looking for on that, but I figure it makes sense that the surgeon knows what that is before diving in. 

So for those who had surgery- is this too long to wait? I feel fine at the moment, but am prone to the gallbladder acting up and clearly fall under the symptomatic category. It is enough of a problem that I don't eat solid food during work days, and gamble on it at night when I get home. I can't predict when it will trigger, unless I eat high fat food- then for sure it is a problem. 

So wait, or call for a different doc that I don't know?

I would schedule with someone else and apparently that is what your gastro recommends also. The gallbladder

can rupture like the appendix does, filling your abdominal cavity with infectious crap and making you very,very sick and guaranteeing you an emergency surgery at a time not of your choosing and with no ability to get prepared for it. 

I wouldn't wait at all. 

happyteacher
on 12/9/15 4:13 pm

This is a known issue, and it scares me a tad. I am obviously keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen. First sign of severe pain though and straight to the ER. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Dan1962
on 12/7/15 6:05 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

I had my first real attack on a Sunday night.  They wanted to take it out on monday night.  I waited until the following Thursday, 10 days later.  I was fine.  Just went on a low fat diet for those 10 days.

happyteacher
on 12/9/15 4:16 pm

If I have a painful attack I will go in and get it done via the ER. I have my lesson plans set through the holiday break just in case. Should be Ok scheduling it though. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/7/15 6:38 pm

It is your call. I waited 2-3 weeks...  But I did not have stones. 

During those weeks I had to be on a very low fat diet, low volume diet, and no raw food or food difficult to digest. It was protein shakes, cooked chicken and veggies.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SDenae
on 12/7/15 6:54 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Ultimately, it's your choice, but I remember the pain I had before I had mine out and I would want that sucker out ASAP.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Shel25
on 12/7/15 10:54 pm

Ditto what HollyKim said.  

My gallbladder issues were not easy to diagnose so it isn't like I had it out right away.  But, I didn't have that abdominal tenderness and all along the way I didn't seem to alarm the doctors into thinking it must come out. Also, I was more of a sludge girl if that makes any difference. 

If your GI doc is saying that you shouldn't wait, then I really, really wouldn't wait.  You don't need a situation like HollyKim described! 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

LeapSecond
on 12/8/15 5:41 am - AR

If you want Chengelis and you are trying to make an appointment they might have one type of schedule and if they know they have a urgent case they might have another schedule.  Call the nurse and let her know the situation.  They might be able to get you in sooner.  On the other hand gallbladder removal is the most performed surgery in the world.  There are many surgeons with the skills to do it well.   Wishing you well.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

michellemj
on 12/8/15 8:30 am

15th of this month? oh, for the appt. Even if you make an appt for someone else, I doubt they can get you in that much sooner. Everyone is trying to cram things in before the end of the year.

How often are the attacks?

I had mine out pre-VSG and an attack sent me to the ER with horrible vomiting and death pain. I believe the time from the ER visit to the surgery was at least a month and I managed just fine, without any diet modifications. After surgery, pathology revealed that I had a "rock garden" in my gallbladder and it was the most stones they had seen in a very long time, so...

In the end, only you can decide how bad it is. But honestly, a week for the surgeon appt you want is the norm. If you think you'll be ok, I'd wait. Keep an eye on the symptoms and go with it.

If you want peace of mind, try to call a couple other docs and reassure yourself that there aren't many other sooner appts.

Most Active
Recent Topics