H. Pylori before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/15 3:48 pm
with

Today I went to get my PCP clearance and was told that my blood shows I have an H. Pylori infection. This can cause stomach ulcers. I am supposed to start on a round of antibiotics and I have my EDG scheduled but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I have read horrible things about it,  people saying it never goes away. But if it never goes away, I can never have surgery, right? 

hollykim
on 12/7/15 4:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2015 at 11:48 PM Pacific Time, ILuvSeaWorld wrote:

Today I went to get my PCP clearance and was told that my blood shows I have an H. Pylori infection. This can cause stomach ulcers. I am supposed to start on a round of antibiotics and I have my EDG scheduled but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I have read horrible things about it,  people saying it never goes away. But if it never goes away, I can never have surgery, right? 

the active infection certainly can be cured by the right antibiotics. Some ppl have to take more than one round of antibiotics to completely cure it. 

I think more ppl have trouble with the antibiotics for it than ppl have getting it cured.

ubserved
on 12/7/15 10:08 pm

An ex-g/f of mine had it and it was absolutely horrible. I felt so helpless watching her suffer, you never knew when it was going to flare up and when it did it absolutely hammered her. Once it flared up the night before we were going to meet some friends to go to Universal Studios, we spent the night at the ER and our friends ended up going to Universal Studios without us because we made it back to the hotel about 8am and crashed. It took an internist that specialized in gastrological issues to cure it. I would definitely jump on it and hit it hard. 

White Dove
on 12/8/15 12:11 am - Warren, OH

I had it before surgery, took the round of medicine and it was gone.  I believe that worldwide at least half of people have it and for most there are no symptoms.  Getting it cleared up before surgery is a precaution to prevent ulcers.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cappy11448
on 12/8/15 5:05 am

Not to worry. I had H.Pylori and they didn't detect it before surgery, so I had to have the antibiotics after surgery which added a bit of stress in my recovery.  So its good that they found it and are treating it now.

They treat the H.Pylori with a strong battery of antibiotics. Its a tough bacteria that can live in stomach acid!  They usually do a follow up blood test to check to see if its gone.  But it usually works. 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics