Pending surgery, having second thoughts. If you had to do it all again, would you?

LuckyDuck
on 12/13/15 9:16 am

First off, I am just over 7 months out, 75 lbs. down, and feeling fantastic. I would recommend the VSG to anyone who ever struggled chronically with their weight. There is no way I could ever have lost this much weight without surgery - but more importantly, no way I could have EVER kept it off. I'm not done losing - 25 lbs. to go! - but the sleeve, for me, is more valuable as a maintenance tool than even a weight loss tool. I am scared and excited to see what my life is like long term, not just in this honeymoon weight loss phase. I guess we'll see where I am in a few years!

Your issue with having children is one of the biggest reasons - if not the #1 reason - I had the sleeve. I had to lose 40 lbs. (238 - 199) and go through a couple miscarriages before I was able to get pregnant with my daughter. I have PCOS, which affects not only cycles and ovulation but also egg quality. The weight loss fixed the ovulation issues but I am always at a higher risk for miscarriage.

I got pregnant had my daughter at 25. A couple years later, I was 27 and ready to think about trying again. At that point I was at my highest weight ever - 255 - and I knew I was faced with a choice: lose weight (even more than I had to before!) or go through infertility treatments, which could range from "simple" Clomid pills to IVF. For me, the choice was easy. 

I spent a year researching and agonizing over my choice and if this is what I really wanted. The biggest thing holding me back? Not being able to eat again. I mean, REALLY EAT. Eating until you can't move, eating until you're numb, eating because food is awesome. And I won't lie - I miss it! Sometimes, it makes me really sad. But I took the leap, spent about 6 months with doctor's appointment and scheduling, and finally had the surgery when I was 28. I just turned 29 now and hope to start trying to get pregnant again on my one-year surgeriversary, assuming I'm at goal and/or in a healthy eating place. I'm not right now, at 7 months, but I have 5 months left! 

This is also something to keep in mind - pregnancy at a heavy weight is HARD. I gained 60 pounds during my pregnancy (all the weight I lost and then some!) and it made the pregnancy exponentially more difficult. I have no concept what being pregnant at a healthy weight is like, but it can only be easier, and healthier. I didn't get GD, thank God, but I was close. 

The best thing you can do for yourself and for your future children is be healthy. For some, that means dieting and exercising, and that's enough. That wasn't enough for me. I needed more. So wherever that healthy bottom line is, get there however you can. Good luck!!

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

MsBatt
on 12/13/15 12:30 pm

With a high weight of 446 pounds, I definitely recommend you have WLS. I'm not sure I'd recommend the VSG---have you considered having the complete Duodenal Switch? The DS has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to that of the RNY, but with better long-term results. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those who've ever had a BMI greater than 50.

I'm 12 years post-DS, and was the best decision I've ever made regarding my health. For ME, the Sleeve alone would NOT have given me the results I wanted.

robinreinhardt
on 12/13/15 2:17 pm

Best decision of my life. Wish I would have done it sooner. Good luck to you too.

Robin

Most Active
Recent Topics