Pending surgery, having second thoughts. If you had to do it all again, would you?

Anne N.
on 12/7/15 10:07 am - Middle Island, NY

One of the best decisions I made - only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

hollykim
on 12/7/15 10:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 7, 2015 at 2:56 PM Pacific Time, ILuvSeaWorld wrote:

Hi everyone. I am currently about a month out from my surgery and am really getting nervous now. I am so afraid to make a mistake, to do the wrong thing. This surgery could either change my life for the better, which I hope, or ruin it, and that scares me. My main goal for the surgery is not necessarily to be skinny, but to be healthy enough to start a family. 

I am so afraid that side effects are going to make my life a living hell. Will I be skinnier? Probably, but will I be miserable? I dont know. I have people in my life telling me they support me no matter what decision I make, but everyone has a hidden opinion that they are not great at hiding. 

My best friend wants me to have a baby, so that her baby and mine can grow up together. Well tough, I am not ready for a baby, I am way too overweight for that. She wants me to visit an OBGYN before I get surgery, to see if surgery is even necessary. 

My mother in law is the same way, she doesnt want to wait 18 months for me to start trying to have a baby. She tells me I am doing so great on my own, why not just continue? (on my own I have lost about 98 pounds so far). If I did it this way, could I have a baby sooner? But what if I fail again and gain it all back? That puts me even later in life to try again. But what if I succeed?  See the problem is, I am 33 years old. If I have surgery in January, I wont be able to start trying to conceive for 18-24 months, according to my doctor. That is a long time for someone my age. My MIL doesnt want to wait anymore, she also thinks I should go to the OB now. 

My husband tells me he supports whatever decision I make, but he thinks the surgery would be best. 

Everyone has an opinion, except me. I do not know what I want. Well, I know what I want, I want to be healthy enough to start my family, but what is the best way to accomplish that? 

Ugh, sorry I am rambling...basically my question is this, in all honestly would you recommend VSG to someone you love? Has it been worth all of the struggle and pain? Would you do it again knowing what you know now? 

Thank you!

I would recommend surgery to everyone I love who might need it.  I personally would have surgery every month if that is what it took.

Losing weight is one thing, keeping it off is another. It doesn't matter what your friend and mil want, this is your life. Just do it. I seriously doubt you will regret it

Radron
on 12/7/15 11:04 am

Yes I'd have done it years ago and would still choose VSG over other options (personal preference vs. own personal weight loss issues and post op. medication restrictions). I had cold feet too. Its normal.

kamehanaokala
on 12/7/15 12:19 pm - HI

I'm 8.5 years out.

I did my surgery when I was 35. I'm 43 now.

Before surgery:

I had major back pain, herniated disc, ankle pain, joint pain. And feel all around unmotivated, fat and unable to move without being in pain.

After surgery:

You're only in REAL pain a few days after, your body needs to heal. The rest of the pain is HEAD pain. Your mind playing tricks on you until you know how to deal with it. Or head hunger as they call it. The images that we see on tv, the ads, magazines of huge plates of food that we think we can still consume but cannot.

The Pros that I did not expect:

Learning about nutrition. It's so good to finally know the right way to eat and how to feed my family and fuel their bodies. Between my husband and I we have 8 kids. Many are athletes. One child is a dancer(4 days a week of training). I wouldn't have ever known otherwise.

The Cons:

I'm low in iron and low in B12. I take these supplements daily. A great trade off for all the negatives listed above!!!!!!!!

Don't listen to anyone else but yourself though. You can only do this for YOU.

aloha,

michelle

KayDeeCee
on 12/7/15 1:56 pm
VSG on 01/26/15

YES!! Best decision I have ever maid (I was self-pay). My only regret is that I did not get my VSG sooner! :-) Kay

5'7" HW 256 (1/6/2014) SW 236.2 (VSG: 1/26/2015) CW 165.5 (01/10/2016) Total Weight Lost 90.5
Pre-Op: -19.8; Month 1: -19; Month 2: -12.7; Month 3: -9.9; Month 4: -7.2; Month 5: -6.4; Month 6: -2.8; Month 7: -3.7; Month 8: -4.2; Month 9: -0.6; Month 10: -2.1; Month 11: -0 Month 12: -2.1

GOALS: BMI Normal = 159 (6.5 to go); 100 LBs Lost = 156 (9.5 to go); FINAL GOAL: 139?? (26.5 to go)

psychoticparrot
on 12/7/15 2:08 pm

Would do it again tomorrow. But in the end, the only opinion that matters is your own. Tell everyone around you to stop with the "advice" already, then take a few days for yourself to think it through.

My husband is on the fence about having the surgery himself. I have my own opinion about his having surgery, but he will have the final say, and that's the only one that matters.

Good luck with whatever your decide.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/15 4:00 pm
VSG on 08/15/15 with

My only regret is not having surgery years ago!!! Totally worth it.... Every second of it!!!

and my hubby and I are going to start trying to conceive next year.... I'm just under 4 months post op, and only 25-30 lbs from my goal and also 33 yrs old. Other have gotten pregnant very quickly after surgery, even without trying. 

My only concern with your post is that you don't mention your desire to have a family. Just remember whether you have surgery or not, this is your life to live, your body, and your family. Don't let others rush you or dictate your timing. 

I wish you  the best :)

Meggles07
on 12/7/15 7:18 pm - Canada

One thing that helped sell me on having the surgery before having kids was a research study that my surgeon told me about. He said they tracked mothers who had surgery vs. those that hadn't for about 20 years after their children were born. They found that women who were at a lower weight (because of the surgery) were more likely to have children grow up to be a normal weight than mothers who didn't have surgery (and I assume were overweight or obese). This means my surgery gives my future children a chance at having a healthier life. 

Meg~

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/15 8:04 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Hi! I'm 28 and currently 10 days pre-op, my surgery is 12.17.15 and I already know I am making the right decision. Things have been falling into place with work, my personal life and my family that never quite felt right and I haven't even had surgery yet. I desperately want children or even just one child would be fine but I know I need to be a healthy weight to do so because I owe it to my someday child(ren) to be a healthy mommy. My boyfriend (who has sole custody of his 2 year old daughter from a previous relationship) wants more children (specifically with me of course) but understands we need to wait about 2 years and knows waiting will be what is best for us as a family. Women have children well into their 40s and they are fine. My mom had me at 34 and that was in 1987. My Grandma had he last child of 6 in her 40s and that was in the 1970s and two of my aunts had little boys in their mid to late 40s in the mid 2000s. You have time, you are very young. That being said no one can make this decision but you. Politely ask your family who have baby fever to stop pressuring you and let you make your own decisions whatever they may be. Good luck!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/8/15 9:25 am - MI

This is the best decision I have ever made! I wish I would have done it at 29 instead of 39!

Like you, I did it on my own too....I lost a good amount of weight more than once & each time it would come back plus 10 additional lbs! I need this tool to keep me in check and for me to maintain my health! I could have lost 100 lbs on my own, but I guarantee I would already be gaining it back! 

You mentioned being miserable! Not once have I been miserable....even post op! I have reclaimed my health and I couldn't be happier!

You won't regret this decision!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics