What is different when it comes to maintenance?

KathyA999
on 12/7/15 4:11 pm

In terms of maintenance, for me it would have been a path to disaster if I had added carbs back in, in order to "stop losing weight."  (By carbs I mean things made with sugar and grains.)  These things cause me to crave more of them.  So instead, I just continued to eat the things I had been eating in weight loss phase; my increased capacity accounted for somewhat increased calorie count. 

So by just keeping on keeping on, I did fall to 132 at my lowest, a fairly thin weight for my height, 5'7".  I endured a few comments about becoming too thin, although personally I loved being 132.  But inevitably my weight drifted upwards just a bit.  I leveled off at 135-137 for a couple years, a range I really liked, then went up to around 143, where I find myself now.  I doubt I'll see 135 again, and I'm happy at 143.

Each person needs to find their own maintenance mode.  I think, though, that trusting our bodies to find their own level seems to work best, as opposed to managing calories and adding carbs to attempt to put the brakes on.  JMO 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Recent Topics