Naproxen ok?

rocky513
on 12/6/15 5:48 am - WI

It doesn't matter whether you take an NSAID orally, in a patch, or a topical creme.  NSAIDS get into the blood stream (they are a systemic medication).  The medication causes the lining of the stomach to thin, which allows the formation of ulcers.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

zann50
on 12/6/15 7:38 am

thank you Rocky...I was going on consult with my VGS surgeon.  They all seem to vary.  I will proceed with caution.  Next is a narcotic which I am not thrilled about.  But, not thrilled with limited activities of daily living either.

Donna L.
on 12/6/15 4:25 pm, edited 12/6/15 8:30 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was told absolutely not by my surgeon to any NSAIDs at any point.  I can take them only temporarily if then.

This became tricky as I hit my 80 pounds of weight lost a few months ago, as I discovered since I was more mobile that I have a bone-on-bone right knee that needs (kneeds?) replacement.  It's quite painful, as you might imagine.  I don't take any oral pain medication at all, though.  Instead I take a compound pain ointment that doesn't enter the bloodstream which I apply topically.  These do not cause ulcers.  Some insurance carriers do not cover these, but many do.  

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Julie S.
on 12/9/15 5:55 am - Laredo, TX
VSG on 12/29/14

Hi Meep, what compound pain ointment do you use? I have been limping for two weeks now and have a lot of pain.  I'll try anything that can help ease the pain.  BTW I called my surgeon and he recommended taking one pill every other day for a few days vs the two pills a day for 30 days that I was given. With all the comments above I'm willing to try something else if possible. Thanks everyone for all your comments. :)

With God All things are possible!      
Donna L.
on 12/10/15 6:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Mine is from a compounding pharmacy and has anesthetic drugs as well as nerve pain drugs like baclofen and gabapentin.  It's a custom formulation my orthopedic surgeon orders.  Here are some examples you can see.  It's nice because you don't get the disorientation or other issues taken orally, and they are also non-addictive.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Zee Starrlite
on 12/7/15 11:39 am

I would take only if I really needed it and not regularly.  NSAIDS can cause stomach ulcers even in unaltered stomachs.  My doc told me straight out when I asked him a couple of weeks out "take if you really need it"  and "have something in your stomach".  I have a form of Rheumatoid Arthritis and also a reconstructed knee that can act up so I feel your pain.

I use Tumeric, Ginger (lots of this stuff), celery, cucumber as an anti-inflammatory.  So I juice a lot and it helps so much.  Also I do hot salt baths, leg elevation when I can, heat and cold therapies (beads, packs), stretching, straight leg lifts, and my exercise bike.  it makes my life manageable and almost never needing NSAIDS.  Though remember  . . .  I will take if I really need and I won't hesitate.  Just be mindful.  Also, thank god I don't need to take PPI's but my doc thinks it's a good idea to use these while taking NSAIDS (Naproxen=ALEVE, Ibuprofen= Advil, motrin etc.)

All best to you!  I really hope your pain eases

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

happyteacher
on 12/12/15 7:11 am

This past summer due to a reconstructive surgery that was beginning to again create too much scar tissue, I started taking ibuprofen in an attempt to lessen the inflammation to then stop the scarring from getting worse. The only thing it was succusful at was giving me an ulcer. I would not touch it if it were me. My bad to not checking in with the vsg surgeon for an opinion on it and going with what was originally told a few years back prior to the recommendations being changed.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics