Post surgery weight gain????

TracyAnc
on 12/5/15 7:45 am - indian trail, NC

Hey everyone. I had my surgery on Thursday (dec.3rd) and I have GAINED between 5 and 10 lbs. I am having a hard time getting protein because I absolutely hate all the drinks I have tried. I have even thrown up a couple of times. btw....all of that was done pre-surgery. I was wondering if the gain is because of the IV fluids I was given in the hospital. 

Has anyone else experience this?

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/15 8:14 am

Maybe it's the fluid from the hospital and the gas they filled you up with (I'm assuming it was done laparoscopically)? I lost 9.5 pounds my first week, so I didn't experience this. I would call your doctor's office and ask if they have seen a case like that before. Good luck!

b3th2882
on 12/5/15 8:54 am

Yes, I had the same thing happen to me. I had my surgery 11/23, and I got released 11/25... I was all excited to weigh myself the following morning only to see that I gained about 10 pounds, I was devastated. It took like 4 days, but that weigh came back off, and now I'm losing again. Give it a few days and those pounds will fall off, good luck!!!

VSG Surgery date: 11/23/2015, 33yr F, HW: 278.2

psychoticparrot
on 12/5/15 11:06 am

Because your surgeon's team knows it will be hard for you to drink enough water in the week following surgery, during your hospital stay they plump you up with IV liquids to hold you over until you can take in enough by mouth.

Weight gain is not only not unusual immediately after surgery, it's to be expected.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

-Flo-
on 12/5/15 11:36 am
DS on 04/11/16

Totally normal. As others have said, its from the iv.

MaraFaith
on 12/7/15 9:43 am - denham springs, LA

Give it four days, put the scale away for that time frame and try again. I promise most if not all the IV fluid weight will be gone and then some. 

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

Most Active