Advil and Chicken? Need advice!

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 6:58 am
with

Hi everyone. Yesterday I attended a mandatory basic education and nutrition class prior to surgery. I am so close to having my surgery and I am getting nervous. I have done all of the tests, jumped through all of the hoops, been approved by my insurance company and until yesterday I was ready and gung ho, now I am scared. 

During the class I was told that I could never take ibuprofen again. Never. This thought terrifies me. I get regular sinus infections and when I do, the pain is intense. I normally have to take 3 or 4 advil just to get it to subside to where I can function. Tylenol does not even touch it. What am I going to do? Do I have to choose between being fat or being in pain? What about steroids? sometimes when the infection is so bad, my doctor gives me prednisone. Can I also not take that? 

Also the class said that some common foods that people can never tolerate again after surgery include eggs, chicken and beef. How is this possible? Those are literally the 3 food items I eat the most. I hate fish, so if I can never eat chicken and beef again, what will I eat? Pork for every meal? This cant be true, can it? 

Please help me, I am so scared I am about to ruin my life with this surgery. I have lost 96 pounds already on my own, and I am starting to wonder if I should just keep doing it this way. 

I am so scared and worried. :(

msfitzy
on 12/3/15 7:12 am
with

Don't know about the medicine part but I eat chicken, beef, pork, and turkey daily.  I can only eat about 1-2 ounces, but that's because I get full.  I don't like eggs, but others on here eat them.  

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Maria_Wilent1273
on 12/3/15 7:13 am

Don't be scared, everyone is different. I am one month out since my surgery and I tolerate those foods. Go in with an open and clear mind. This will affect your recovery so you must be positive.

I used to get a lot of sinus infections until I recently found raw honey. Go to a farmers market that is in your area(this is important) and purchase raw honey. You can put this in hot tea and trust me no more sinus infections. My husband and I almost undergone surgeries for numerous infections. Once we took this no more infections. Check with your Dr to make sure you can have it.

Best of luck to you, you will be fine Just please stay positive and it will work out fine.

tdelson
on 12/3/15 7:17 am
VSG on 10/12/15

I don't know about the pain pill issues, however they say SOME people can never tolerate eggs, chicken and beef. I had the VSG on 10-12 and was eating soft scrambled eggs 3 weeks out. In addition I have had beef with no problems. I also ate chicken, they told us the problem with the chicken happens a lot if the chicken is too dry and stringy.

jazzycatz
on 12/3/15 7:22 am - Joppa, MD

I probably shouldn't reply since I had RNY but you just seem so scared. As an RNY patient I can never take ibuprofen again. Maybe for a limited time if I take a PPI along with them but it's risky.

I have arthritis so it's been a bit of a challenge. Most WLS patients, myself included, end up on Tramadol. It was reclassified as a narcotic...I believe it was last year...but it's not a heavy drug that will keep you drowsy or unable to work. If that stops working then they will start going up the narco scale. Usually. Some doctors don't like that so a lot will depend on your PCP. I'm lucky to have had the same one for 20+ years so he works on these things with me.

As far as the meats some people can not tolerate those foods early on but after awhile you begin to be able to eat them. Some you may not. Your tastes change after surgery so you may find you love fish now. I used to love tuna. After surgery it had a metallic taste to me. 5 years later it still has a metallic taste to me. I didn't care for shrimp pre-op. Loved it after surgery. Apples. Could take them or leave them before. Now I love apples. Love them...like I used to love cake.

But this is the time to open up your world to many new and interesting foods. You will be relearning how to eat and how to do it properly. Keeping nutrition in mind and not just grabbing whatever you feel like. theworldaccordingtoeggface is a great food blog. Bariatricfoodie is great. And I am sure there are VSG specific food blogs. God knows there is a blog for everything else now.

Finally, I address your 96lb loss. Congratulations!! And maybe you can do it on your own. But if you could then why haven't you? If you are like most of us you have. And then within 5 years gained everything back plus a few pounds. I have nothing but respect for those that do because I know I couldn't maintain without having had this surgery. But the odds are stacked against you.

They are trying to get you ready for massive changes because there will be some. But just because they say it doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. Not to everyone.

Deep breath. You'll be fine.

KansasPrincess
on 12/3/15 8:29 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I WAS TOLD NO NSAID'S EVER AGAIN AFTER SURGERY. ADN I TOLERATE EGGS CHICKEN ADN BEEF . I HOWEVER CAN NOT DO CANNED CHICKEN. AND THEY WILL KEEP YOU WAY FULL SO BE CAREFUL WHEN EATIGN THEM , BUT ALL SEEMS TO BE GOOD W/ THE 3 YOU MENTIONED AND IM ONLY 7 WEEKS 1 DAY OUT OF VSG

Gwen M.
on 12/3/15 9:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Why are you shouting? 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KansasPrincess
on 12/3/15 9:30 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

IM NOT SHOUTING. IM AT WORK AND WE R REQUIRED TO TYPE IN CAPS. SO ITS TURNED ON A LOT

Gwen M.
on 12/3/15 9:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

On the internet, typing in all caps is considered shouting.  It takes less than a second to hit the caps lock button when you make a post.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

KansasPrincess
on 12/3/15 9:42 am - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

I UNDERSTAND BUT ITS A HABIT AND A REQUIREMENT AT WORK SO ITS HARDLY EVER OFF.  ILL JUST STOP POSTING. WASNT TRYING TO OFFEND WAS JUST MAKING A SIMPLE STATEMENT

Most Active