Yes, another question on diet soda.

Bonroxie19
on 12/1/15 9:21 pm

i was a big drinker of diet coke.  up to 8 per day.  i also drank a lot of water 64 oz before i could dink dc.  so i stopped the dc 2 days before sugary.  Now eating so clean i cannot image drinking diet coke.  i have not thoughts of picking one up again.  you can ditch the diet coke whenever you are ready.

RNY best thing i ever did for myself.

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/15 8:38 am

I've been struggling with getting off diet soda as well.  I'm unable to go cold turkey as about a week out the headaches and misery win out.    It's the aspartame that I'm addicted to.  I experimented with caffeine, equal/aspartame, and different fizzy drinks to figure out what the hell was going on.  Diet Pepsi dropped it and I no longer like it and never warmed up to Coke Zero, but I'm stuck on Diet Coke.  Substituting caffeine doesn't work either so now I'm tracking and reducing consumption with the goal to be completely off before Christmas (used to be a over 2 liter a day kind of drinker and down to two servings a day).  If it's the caffeine you can substitute and some others do well with Excedrin for the withdrawal symptoms.  If it's stress/behavioral, then you need to modify your routine and recognize the stressors that result in grabbing a can.  I personally find myself always grabbing one before a meeting or getting in the car to head somewhere.  I now focus on sound tracks and keep a squeezy stress ball to keep my hand busy instead of raising a can.  I absolutely had to stop ordering it at restaurants or bringing any home from grocery store as that refillable cup and 2 liter disappear without any sense of portion control.  Get a good water bottle that feels good in your hand for everyday life at desk, home, car, etc. and hold out to the breaking point of needing one and be honest with yourself to record your progress and push for less each week.

JA
on 12/2/15 12:05 pm - East Haven, CT

I drank diet soda continuously prior to my surgery.  After surgery, it was suggested that I not drink it.  Well guess what, it hurt to drink it.  So for two years, I didn't have any.  I now have maybe 1/2 of a small can each day sometimes not every day.  Things taste different after surgery.

JA

Rearea89
on 12/2/15 3:21 pm

I used to literally drink 8-10 diet cokes per day and I am not kidding! I was so scared to give them up but I switched to lemonade crystal lite and honestly it was a lot easier than I thought and believe it or not i lost 20 lbs!! You will be surprised how easy it is once you set your mind to it.

Most Active
Recent Topics