Almost 6 wk. post-op update and Weight-Loss Stall

Tired_of_Weighting
on 12/3/15 7:54 pm

Monday I will be six weeks post-op.  I have been eating real food for about two weeks, started with soft foods and now progressing.  I am down 37 pounds and have had no trouble with any foods I have tried including eggs, seafood, chicken, ham, turkey, etc.  I do notice some foods go down easier than others and some make me fuller faster but it is nice to eat a couple of bites of something and be full.  The other day my friend who had VSG 18 months ago and I went to eat and shared a meal of lunch size chicken fajitas.  We both ate out of it and she still had a full take-home box of 3 full fajitas to take home!  Crazy!  However, now I am getting worried.  This week I have been hungrier and my one egg with cottage cheese has me starving by 11:30 when I eat my yogurt.  However, this week the scale hasn't moved AT ALL!  Is a stall normal this early on?  Sure hope not.  It's kind of discouraging.   The surgeon said to expect about 1-2 pounds each week but this week it is looking like I will have no weight loss!  Please help!   I appreciate everyone who has personal experiences or advice they want to share.  Thanks in advance. 

Tired_of_Weighting
on 12/3/15 7:55 pm

I forgot to mention that the 37 pounds is from the start of my liquid diet, not since the date of surgery.  I have only lost about 26 pounds since my surgery.  Is this average?

ubserved
on 12/3/15 8:49 pm

I don't know what program was given to you, but I am 16 days post op and every program I have read about online and then one my surgeon gave me was week 1 and 2 was liquid post op, week 3 and 4 was puree's, week 5 through 8 was soft foods and you only went to solid food starting on week 9. You might be doing too much too soon.

hollykim
on 12/4/15 8:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 4, 2015 at 4:49 AM Pacific Time, ubserved wrote:

I don't know what program was given to you, but I am 16 days post op and every program I have read about online and then one my surgeon gave me was week 1 and 2 was liquid post op, week 3 and 4 was puree's, week 5 through 8 was soft foods and you only went to solid food starting on week 9. You might be doing too much too soon.

you must have misse my plan in all those you saw. It was not like yours. Every  surgeons plan is different  because one is not like yours doesn't make it wrong.

ubserved
on 12/4/15 9:04 am

You took my post in the wrong way, I wasn't implying you weren't following your doctors program, I was just stating what my program was and that the program my doctor provided was basically the same as I had ready about from different sources online. It wasn't a personal attack upon you truly.

hollykim
on 12/4/15 9:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM Pacific Time, ubserved wrote:

You took my post in the wrong way, I wasn't implying you weren't following your doctors program, I was just stating what my program was and that the program my doctor provided was basically the same as I had ready about from different sources online. It wasn't a personal attack upon you truly.

thanks. I didn't take it personally. I was thinking about the OP who was made to feel that her surgeons progression was incorrect because it wasn't like all the ones you had read. Point being,you apparently missed MY progression,so you might have missed her progression as well.

Shel25
on 12/3/15 9:47 pm

You are doing great!  37 lbs down in 6 weeks, how cool is that?

Stalls (slow downs/pauses) are common but that doesn't mean that you aren't losing fat.  Water flows in to take its place.  OK, I just made that up bu****er retention (and then its release) is real and it can be significant. You had fajitas at a restaurant the other day.  For me, eating out (even small portions!) means increased sodium which means retained water for 2-3 days.  And don't get me started on constipation. 

Stick with your plan, your fat loss will continue behind the scenes and eventually the scale will move again.  

To feel full, you might need to focus more on dense proteins if they are allowed on your plan.  For me cottage cheese and yogurt have no staying power and most consider them slider foods. It doesn't mean you can't have them ever, just recognize their limitations. 

Best wishes in your journey! 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

White Dove
on 12/4/15 1:35 am, edited 12/3/15 5:33 pm - Warren, OH

Your average depends on your starting weight, your height and the percentage of excess weight that you want to lose.

The Postop planner in MORE and Menu at the top of the page will give you an estimate of what to expect each month.

PostOp Planner

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/15 5:53 am

Many people have stalls around six weeks and some even sooner. It will pass. I had mine weeks 4-6! Could be water weight, could just be the body readjusting metabolism and hormones. Hang in there . It will pass. Shall I say that again..stick to your program and it will pass!

Tired_of_Weighting
on 12/7/15 7:35 pm

Praying it does!  :)

Most Active