Knee replacement dangerous @ my weight, dr suggested VSG.

animallover1247
on 12/3/15 7:51 pm

Hi Cheryl

I wanted to ask you a quick question. Last year I had a knee injury and required x-rays and an MRI. Needless to say I had two doctors to tell me I will need a knee replacement in about 10 years (now its 9 years). My question is if I HAPPEN to lose weight after the surgery, will I still need the knee replacement? I also have arthritis in the knee. Thanks 

Cherylr7777
on 12/19/15 10:20 am - North Las Vegas , NV

HI Animallover- I only just now saw this post. Sorry for the delayed response.  What I have heard about knee surgery...when bone on bone (like mine is) I can't regrow cartilage so that means that although the pain will be less the less i weigh (& less inflammation with no sugar)....eventually I will need a knee replacement,  maybe later than if I keep the weight on?  If your knees are not bone on bone....there is at least a chance that less wear and tear will mean you can at least delay surgery.  But even if you still need surgery....the surgery and recovery will be easier at a lower weight (I am told). Thanks- Cheryl  

Cherylr7777
on 12/1/15 11:28 am - North Las Vegas , NV

Hi Carol- wow....I see myself in your description as well!  Very encouraging!  I am ok with not easy....my life right now isn't a walk in the park (with knee pain and all the emotions, etc. that come from being obese.). I realize that these lovely posts have made me able to visualize a life I had determined could never happen for me.  So...out of this knee pain may come a better life!  Amazing!  Thank you so much!  Cheryl 

psychoticparrot
on 12/1/15 2:10 pm

One of the reasons, among many!, that I chose sleeve surgery was to lose weight before I needed to have knee replacement surgery. At my high weight of 275 pounds (5'1", 63 years old at surgery) walking was painful on my lower back, hips, and especially my knees. I knew replacement surgery was in the cards if I didn't lose weight, and if I had the replacement surgery without losing weight, my chances of a full recovery were next to nil. A particularly nasty catch-22.

I think I may have won that race -- now, at 95 pounds lighter 10 months post-op, my knees hardly even twinge anymore. If your knee surgery is inevitable, then sleeve surgery will definitely help you lose the weight that will make your knee surgery easier and easier to recover from.

Regarding the sleeve surgery itself, it's not only possible to lose weight, it's highly probable. Before surgery, struggling to lose weight is like swimming upstream against a strong current -- possible for only short periods of time. After surgery, losing weight is like swimming across a calm lake. You still have to make the effort to swim, but the terrible resistance against you is gone. It is never easy to lose weight, but with sleeve surgery and strict adherence to the way you'll need to eat afterwards, it's much less difficult.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Cherylr7777
on 12/1/15 6:38 pm - North Las Vegas , NV

Hi Psychoticparrot- your description is EXACTLY what I needed...swimming upstream vs a calm lake.  And yes, a nasty catch 22.  I hope I have won it too.  Next step is Thursday...seminar to learn the details.  I feel calm, prepared and ready.  Thanks! Cheryl

cmcelfish
on 12/1/15 6:27 pm

I am 65 was 356 now 330 I have had a knee replacement and my left hip replaced 2 times in less than. One year. With my knee and my first hip surgery I almost bleed to death. The second hip surgery I got an infection two holes to the bone. I have been on antibiotics for 3 years. I have been told the left hip hardwear is loose and I need a third hip replacement and infection cleaned out. No surgeon will do the surgery until I loose 80 to 100 pounds. To make things worse the right hip is wearing out they put me into a wheel chair to ease the stress on my hips.I was told now I probable would not survive hip replacement.

I am going to have vertcle sleeve surgery as soon as I get insurance approval. I got two real strong letters of medical necessity from two orthro Dr. That I need surgery on my hips and WL surgery is my only chance for me to have a life. These Dr. Want surgery done ASAP these letters puts pressure on insurance company's to approve surgery. I am trying to exercise but its difficult. I will have all requirements done in about 30 days just waiting for egd I can't waite

Cherylr7777
on 12/1/15 6:34 pm - North Las Vegas , NV

Hi CMCEL-  good for you deciding to go for it!  Keep me posted on what you find out and when your surgery is scheduled.  Best  of luck with all of it!  Cheryl

Pat I.
on 12/1/15 11:19 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Hi Cherylr7777,  Just happened to see your story here.  Sounds a lot like mine.  I am having knee and hip issues and hope that I'm not too old (65) to have the surgery.  I had lapband but had to have it removed a few years ago and slowing regaining what I lost, so now am hoping for VSG.  I am also scheduled to attend the Surgical Weight Control Center seminar this Thursday as well!  Maybe I'll see you there.   Pat A.

Cherylr7777
on 12/2/15 3:11 pm - North Las Vegas , NV

Hope to see you there, Pat!  My husband and I will be there and listening intentlyð?'?? because I want to move forward with this.  This forum has been so helpful.  See you Thursday.  Cheryl

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 7:30 pm

No not too old. Had my surgery at 64 and feel like the clock has gone back 10 yrs! Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics