What to Order in a Restaurant

beachybikegirl
on 11/28/15 12:16 pm

I think this is going to be my new mantra "I hate wasting food, but I hate being fat more than I hate wasting food."

I also never thought of just ordering the protein and guac at Chipotle, I have always ordered a chicken taco and just skip the tortilla but even better is order protein and guac.  Thanks for the tip!

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

beachybikegirl
on 11/28/15 12:08 pm

I was at Disneyland last week with my family and I was a little nervous when it came time to eat in the park.  I was able to order the "kids healthy pack"  whi*****luded yogurt, fruit and veggies.  I was thrilled to not pay 15 dollars for a burger when I can only eat a few bites.  As we walked through the park, I saw a BBQ place, and a Mexican Restaurant which also would have been good options.  I find at Mexican restaurants I can order chicken tacos and just skip the tortillas.  So in the park you will find lots of options, I know you are headed to Disney World which is even bigger so even more options.  I did enjoy a bit of my son's churro but it was actually wonderful to be satisfied with a bite instead of eating the whole thing and then half of my's son's too!

Also pre-surgery Cheesecake was one of favorite restaurants and I happen to have one about a 10 minute walk from my house which sits next to the water so it was always my go to choice for a special occasion!  I still love their food but I don't eat there as much because their portions are so huge, it should be criminal! Also love their cheesecake but haven't had one since surgery...yet : )

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/15 1:35 pm

One thing I tell myself. Is I am not a human trash can. It is okay to throw the rest out and not eat it. It does get easier. 

I go out all the time. If it is someplace new I will check out their food options. If there is a burger or chicken sandwich ask for it without the bun and if it comes with fries do tell them not to put them on your plate. Temptation is a horrible thing. 

I think most Disney places will be able to suit your needs. 

I would bring protein bars with you while in the park in case there are bad food choices. Eating real food is better but in a pinch they are good to have on hand. 

Chanti_
on 11/29/15 9:16 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions on how to get through a Disney vacation.  After some extra research on the disboards, I find they will let people order from the children's menu in most places.  And now Disney has a 'Kid's Mickey Check Menu"along side the typical kids food.  Instead of the usual mac and cheese or chicken nuggets and fries crap, it's options of whole grain pastas served with an option for grilled chicken or fish with a veg side and a low fat milk, dessert is a piece of fruit.. They are recognizing that parents do want healthier options for their childrens meals.  It's refreshing to see actually.  

Now if only restaurants with get on board with portion control.  I realize I will never again be able to eat even a reasonable sized adult portion.  But even when i was free for all when eating out it was rare I didn't take a doggie bag home from most of the big chains.  

Wouldn't it be nice if places offered 1/2 order servings of all their entrees?  

SilverGirl2015
on 11/29/15 6:13 pm

Florida = lots of fresh seafood.  I would try to avoid the big chain restaurants, and all the fried stuff, and opt for the local places.   I like to order an appetizer and share it with others because I usually can't eat it all.  Another thing that works well is Japanese food - order some chicken yakatori skewers and the small house salad with that yummy ginger dressing.  Spanish tapas places that offer a nice variety of small plates...be creative and think outside the box!  Hope you have a great vacation!!

Most Active
Recent Topics