vomiting foam and saliva....????

msecanales
on 11/26/15 12:15 pm

So today, for breakfast I ate a few bites of an egg omelet and some mashed beans. It went down fine.. My husband and I then drove around and went to a few stores. On the way back home about maybe 45 min after we ate, I started to feel car sick. By the time we got to my moms house, I had to jump out the care because I was gagging and had to vomit. I bent over and gagged.. nothing came out. I went inside and started to have an excruciating "burning" pain in my stomach.. gut area. I then vomited saliva and foam.. ? I came home, laid in the bed and my stomach pain kept getting worse.. almost like the beginning of birthing cramps. I kept vomiting foam. Now, the pain is subsiding and the nausea is going away.. WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT???? 

Age:31| Height 5', 5"| VSG on 10/26/15 | Starting Weight: 277 | Current Weight: 153| WL so far: 124 lb | Goal Weight: 155

Bufflehead
on 11/26/15 12:31 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

That sounds very similar to the foamies. Pretty common after vsg but I've never heard of them being caused by driving after eating. Usually it's eating too much, or too fast, or eating a kind of food that doesn't agree with your sleeve, and for most people it starts with just uncontrollable mouth watering, like what happens before you vomit, but it just goes on and on for several minutes (with accompanying nausea, weakness, etc.) -- and doesn't always include real vomiting of foam, more like hacking and coughing up foam and slime . . . sounds awesome, right? Anyway, probably keep an eye on things and if it keeps happening, really work on figuring out what is triggering it to see if you can stop it. I don't think it causes any permanent damage but it is no fun!

Donna L.
on 11/26/15 5:51 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had lots of trouble with eggs the month after surgery.  I tolerate them fine now, but they really bugged my stomach for a while.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

LynnAlex
on 11/26/15 6:19 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I had a family member who had WLS and she told me to get some paper cups and carry them with you every where the first couple of months.  In my case the foamies or slimies were caused by either eating too much or eating too quickly. You can eat more "soft" foods, so when you start eating real meat, you may only  be able to eat 1/2 to 1 ounce whereas food like cottage cheese I could eat more.  So, while you are learning how slow to eat and how little you can eat, carry some cups wherever you go.  You may not get the slimmies or foamies for 15-30 minutes after a meal.  One time I went on a 10 mile bicycle ride and kept spitting up the slimies for over an hour.  I just made sure no one was behind me on the bike path. I didn't stop riding.  I was thirsty, but couldn't drink, and probably emplied a gallon of my own liquid (ugh!).  It will get easier.  I am almost 4 months out, and I haven't had the slimmies or foamies in several weeks.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Most Active
Recent Topics