Planning ahead?

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/15 2:25 pm

If you are a recent post op (say within the first 4 to 5 months out) my plans won't apply too much, but it will be relevant soon enough. 

I have always been a person who has a weakness for "free food" or "see food". To me "Free Food" is when there is an abundance of food for the taking - think buffets, appetizer spreads, and dessert tables. I have historically gone into binge mode on special days that offer such fare. Finally understanding and accepting the depth of my food issues and the chemical and emotional responses food can cause means that I'm also aware of what potential problems Thanksgiving, Christmas and frankly, the whole damn Eating Season pose for me.

I have "planned" for special days before, but this will be the first major eating holiday I will face since I have honestly embraced my issues with high sugar foods. My approach this year is much more cautious and also much more kind.

My plan includes the following:

1. There are no steadfast rules. I can go into Thanksgiving with a plan of what I will eat, but if I choose to change the plan, that's okay - AS LONG AS IT'S A CHOICE, NOT AN IMPULSE.
  2. Thanksgiving is one day. It is not a long weekend.
  3. I will eat normally throughout the day and not "save up" for the big meal.
  4. I will eat my homemade no sugar added dessert. IF there is another very special dessert, I give myself permission to have a small portion. (see #7)
  5. I will remember how grateful I am for my VSG and the gift it has given me.
  6. I will stay hydrated.
  7. I will remember that high sugar food choices have consequences. If tempted by a high sugar food I will think through the consequence before eating it.

My plan does not include "Don'ts". "Don'ts" don't work so well for me, being the rebel that I am. Once I make a food off limits I'm drawn to it even more. In the past all my plans were were lists of "Don'ts".

My plan is flexible and allows me a lot of freedom, but still keeps me in control of the situation.

Are you planning ahead for how you will deal with the day? I'd love to hear from anyone at any stage of the process - pre op, new post op, 6 months out, 1 year, or veterans. I remember the hardest Thanksgiving food wise came during my pre op diet. I had no plan at all other than to "be good". A day of sheer hell that ended in a binge! 

Oneillch
on 11/20/15 6:10 pm, edited 11/20/15 10:14 am
VSG on 02/04/15

I'm 9 months out, have lost a total 110 lbs, pre & post surgery, and have 11 lbs to get to a "normal" bmi. One thing I've learned is that I always need a plan. Before I read your post, I was talking to my husband about the same thing......my Thanksgiving plan. Like you, I intend to treat it as essentially a normal day with a few exceptions. I'll have a normal breakfast & lunch & my snack will be an appetizer (shrimp or deviled egg w/some veggies). Dinner is turkey & veg and if I have room, I plan on having "tastes" of the foods I enjoy. Yes, cranberry sauce, stuffing & pumpkin pie are all evil carbs & foods I rarely if ever allow myself! I'm giving myself permission to have them & will not feel guilty about it either.

SDenae
on 11/21/15 1:47 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

My plan is to eat some turkey &/or ham. After that, I should be full (only 2 months post-op). If not, I will move on to the veggies.

I'm lucky in that I already know from experience that high sugar foods cause me stomach pain and nausea (I just wanted a bite of ice cream on my birthday.), so I should be able to resist most desserts. If not, then I will allow myself a bite or two, but no more.

That's my plan, anyway. I'll let you know how it works out. Lol

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

frisco
on 11/21/15 2:10 am

Hey Kairk......

A couple weeks ago I was at a store and saw a display for leftover Halloween candy for 75% off..... I immediately thought of you ! 

I also have a weakness for sugar.... I tried not to like it, didn't happen.

It is great to see how you have reacted in such a scholarly way, to learn, define and adjust. This whole thing seems to be a moving target and learning how and why to adjust is paramount.

I think your plan is well thought out for you and your situation and you will do well with it.

My holiday plans are a bit different..... I'm not saying for a second that I'm issue free. I'm a Super Morbidly Obese person in remission and if I don'****ch it and keep to my plan..... I'm fat again.

My holiday plan is as follows..... No plan, it's just another day.

I look forward to the left over proteins I will be sent home with !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/15 6:05 pm

Just so you know, not a single piece of Halloween candy passed my lips this year! Not a single damn piece. Was kinda proud of that fact. 

frisco
on 11/21/15 6:14 pm

I just remember that year you listed a bunch of candy by name that I had never heard of before..... Laffy Taffy !!!

So now.... I think of you when I see the Halloween candy display at the store !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

ocean4dlm
on 11/21/15 3:03 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Kairk-

As usual, your post resonated with me. I look at the period between Halloween and New Year's Day as "eating season". I work in a school system, and there is food in abundance everywhere. Add on the parties and gatherings where most people are looking for an opportunity to let loose with their eating and drinking... it's a challenge.

I am six months out, 118 pounds down from starting weight pre-surgery, under my surgeon's goal and nine pounds from my goal of 145. Planning is going to be key for me. A list of Don'ts just focuses me on all of the temptations. Planning for and logging food before I chose to eat it has been working for me.

If I want a bite of something, or a glass of wine, it has to be planned and logged in advance. Mindless impulses just start a binge for me. I am apprehensive, as this is my first experience with all of this as a formerly morbidly person. I look forward to reading other replies.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

twiddleDee
on 11/21/15 5:53 am

You are doing great! We all know you'll get there!  I like your "don't list- focus you on temptations" that is so true.  I know it is a "mind thing".  We don't need it, just want it.  happy thanksgiving!

Dee

roxytrim
on 11/21/15 4:04 am, edited 11/20/15 8:03 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

All hail Frisco!  Ye wisdom rocks... and Kairk - nice self awarrness.  

Back in the day, I worked in the food business. We have no idea how manipulated we as consumers really are and it is just getting worse.

Let's all put the drumstick down and walk away.

Make it a game to spot all the social cues to endulge to excess and get a grip and eat to fuel, spending our energy enjoying the people or experience (or football if that is your thing)

cappy11448
on 11/21/15 6:43 am

I'm going to follow my usual strategy for any party or event.  That is: to eat dense protein first, take small samples of any off-diet foods, and try not to overeat my sleeve.  Easier said than done.

I'm cooking this year, so that helps. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics