Idiot moment now I need help

animallover1247
on 11/20/15 9:55 pm, edited 11/20/15 9:57 pm

I am on a CPAP machine. The mask desperately needed  cleaned. I sprayed Clorox bleach cleaner in the mask. I put it on and of course was inhaling the chemicals from  the bleach. I soaked it in ho****er but I can't get the smell out and can't wear it. If I don't wear it, the insurance won't pay for it. Any suggestions on how i can get the smell out and not inhale the chemicals??? 

cmarylose
on 11/20/15 10:57 pm

Call your service and order all new parts of everything that is plastic.  The bleach "scarred" the plastic and that is what is retaining the smell.  This is assuming that the basin in your machine is made of metal.  When I still needed a CPAP, my mask and tubes were replaced every six months or more often if I felt it was needed.   Good luck. 

animallover1247
on 11/21/15 7:16 am

Thank you! Yes, I just reached my 6 month mark where the insurance will pay to replace it...was just trying to figure out what to do until then...I hope it doesn't take long to get the parts. 

aharris30
on 11/21/15 12:35 am
VSG on 05/13/14

I have no udea how much parts cost, but I would get new parts.  But why did you use bleach?? Do they give you instructions on what to clean it with? Im just curious. Good luck.

animallover1247
on 11/21/15 7:14 am

Well, like I said I was having an idiot moment. I have very oily skin and that coupled with sweat in the mask made the smell unbearable to wear. I tried to wipe it with a baby wipe but it did nothing. I didn't use pure bleach but even diluted bleach was too much. 

She didn't tell me how to clean the mask, only the water container. I will be ordering a new one but I just reached my 6 month mark where the insurance will pay for it. I was just trying to figure out what to do until I get the new part. 

Lesson learned!

White Dove
on 11/21/15 3:18 am - Warren, OH

Take a bottle of white vinegar and some cotton balls.  Wipe the entire mask with the white vinegar.  Detach the tubing and fill it white vinegar, then drain the vinegar out of the tubing. 

The Clorox smell should be gone.  In the future clean the mask and tubing with only white vinegar.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

animallover1247
on 11/21/15 7:17 am

Thank you White Dove....I will be going to the store today and getting the vinegar and ordering new parts on Monday! 

Karen H.
on 11/21/15 8:11 am
VSG on 12/08/14

I was told I could use Ivory Soap and water to clean mine with. That also get the smell out. Also, the place where I get my mask replacement had wipes I could use. It is in a pull out container just like regular wipes but these are made for the cpap machine. It was that expensive and I wipe my mask out every night with the wipe. So easy!! Once a week I clean it with Ivory soap and water. Hope this helps. :)

Karen H.
on 11/21/15 8:15 am
VSG on 12/08/14

OOPS,,, meant to say,,,, the wipes were NOT that expensive. sorry! :)

CareBear2015
on 11/21/15 8:08 am - TX

Call your Cpap place and see if they will send you another mask. Insurance should pay for most of it. You might try baking soda to get the smell out? Maybe let it soak in soapy water all day? You will need to use it and your machine has a card that reads your breathing. Good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics