Forgive the indulgence, but I have to brag about my hubby!

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/15 7:55 am
RNY on 05/04/15

My husband had his VSG 2 weeks after my RNY (I wanted VSG as well but wasn't a good candidate due to my GERD). Anywho, he had his 6 month follow-up appointments with the PT, NUT, and NP yesterday, and his NUT told him that if she didn't know he'd had sleeve, she'd assume he had bypass because his progress so far is more typically what they see at the one-year mark for sleeve patients. He's down just about 100 lbs in 6 months (400 to 300 at 6'1"). I'm so proud of him! It's been so great for us to do this together, and I'm so lucky he loves to cook and invent new bariatric-friendly recipes for us to try.

Of course, when he texted me this info after the appointment, I texted back, "you sure know how to rock your tool, hon!" which got a response of, "um...wow." But he knew what I meant!  

Also, since so many people ask questions about VSG vs. RNY, I wanted to mention that our experiences have been almost identical post-op. The only differences are that I get reactive hypoglycemia if I eat carbs in isolation, and he had some GERD to deal with after VSG while RNY significantly reduced mine. I'm jealous though that he's lost so much faster than me with a supposedly less aggressive procedure, but overall, I think we both absolutely made the right choice of procedures for each of us.

cappy11448
on 11/20/15 8:14 am

This is excellent news. Its wonderful that you and your hubby have been able to share the weight loss journey and that you are both doing so well.  Congratulations on a job well done.  I can't wait to hear more about how the WLS improves your life.  I know it will.

I also lost very well with the sleeve, losing 96 pounds my first 6 months, and 225 in total, getting to a normal BMI and goal by 18 months post op. So I always object when I hear people say that the RNY is a better choice for the very obese.  The sleeve did the job for me.

I asked my Nutritionist what percent to the WLS patients get to a normal BMI and she said almost no one.  So I feel really blessed that I've succeeded.  I attribute a lot of my success to having a friend who had WLS and gained the weight back.  Her story really motivated me to take the process seriously, knowing that I could easily fail. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/15 9:57 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for sharing, and I love seeing success stories! It really seems that whichever tool you have, picking it up and using it is the most important part. I actually felt a lot better when I realized it's up to ME to decide what I make of this, and it's not magic.

Most Active
Recent Topics