looking for advice on what to modify......

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/15 4:08 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

So I only lost 7.8 lbs last month, and feel like it is too soon to have my weight loss slowing down, even for a lightweight. Each month I have had a 10 day stall....currently on day 10 stuck at 161.6

i know I should be thrilled with losing just about 50 lbs in 3 months and even the 7.8 (with the stall!) should make me happy for a months loss.... It's just sooooo defeating to step on that scale in the morning and not have the number change!

So the advice I'm looking for is how to make the changes I know I need to maximize my results. I know I'm not getting enough water in. I was thinking of buying one of those 32 oz water jugs that have the time of day on it so I have a goal of where my water line should be, especially when I'm at work all day.

I used to always have breakfast, but since surgery have zero desire to eat in the morning. I have my coffee and don't even finish that. I'm putting protein first, but even things that would be good choices to eat, I just am disgusted by...and while I feel blessed to never be hungry, it makes it hard to just eat.

And the other problem I'm having is I'm finding I am just loving cheese and eating too much fat due to the cheese. I track all my stuff daily in my Lose It app, and I average 800-900 calories a day (but I workout hard at the gym, burning about 500-600 per workout, and that's about 3-4 times a week) try to stay under 40 carbs total, and protein between 60-90 grams. Do I need to decrease my calories? (I stay closer to 700-800 on non gym days.)

Any my advice anyone has on how to improve my results would be great. I'm not sure if I'm just getting down on myself, or if I should expect 8 lbs a month as a good result going forward. And damn, how to I stop these monthly stalls?!?!?

Thank you for listening to my rant :)

cappy11448
on 11/18/15 6:43 am

It sounds like you are doing what you should.  My only advice is make sure you get your protein and water in every day.  Keep carbs low enough that you don't trigger cravings, and be patient.  You are doing great.  Does it really matter if you reach goal at 6 months or 9 months or 12 months? or 18 months?  If every month you are heading in the right direction and feeling healthier, does it really matter? 

The stalls are needed for our bodies to readjust.  Weight on the scale is affected by more than the fat burned.  Water retention and hormonal changes can mask the fat burning.  But as long as you are eating less calories than you are burning, you are going to be losing fat, even when it doesn't show on the scale.

Keep the faith.  You are doing great.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 11/18/15 8:59 am - Warren, OH

If you go to the gym and workout and eat extra calories your body will use those extra calories and not have to burn its stored fat.

To check on what to expect to lose each month, put your information into the Post-op planner found in Resources at the top of the page.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tracy D.
on 11/18/15 9:13 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I was a lightweight too - look at my stats in my sig line.  Things waaaay slowed down after 3 months.  You have to NOT compare yourself to anyone else on here.  There used to be a post on here (do a search for it) that it's not about the "pounds it's about the percentages".  Try this link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/01-2011/4315025/Its-not-po und-its-percentages/

As a lightweight, your "measly"7-8 lbs. per month can actually be a whole lot more compared to someone else's 15-20 pounds per months.  It sounds like you're doing everything right as far as protein, carbs and calories.  Stick with your program! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/15 9:22 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

Thank you for the support ladies!!! I'm so thankful for all the knowledge and support of the members of the OH site! 

I'll stay focused, keep tracking and going along! Any forward progress is still progress!!! :)

Daelcare
on 11/18/15 9:32 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

You're doing great!  The only advice I would have is to keep the same calories regardless of whether you go to the gym or not.  Reality is that the gym will taper off and if you keep to one calorie level it will be better in the long run.  I, too, am a lightweight and while in weight loss mode kept to 800 calories a day.  Reached my original goal in 6 months and then kept going (more details on that are in my blog).  Best of luck to you...and have patience, you'll look back and be amazed!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Spencerella
on 11/18/15 9:29 am, edited 11/18/15 1:36 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I was a lightweight too, so feel free to check out my monthly losses on my profile. Building on Tracy's reference to percentages, as a lightweight I shot for 50% EWL in 3 months, 80% EWL at 6 months and normal BMI within a year. 

Looks like you're on track for now. If you don't continue to stay in the ballpark of those milestones, you may have to lower your calories further. Many people aiming for a goal of 125# or less eat 600-800 calories. Personally, I ate 600 through most of the weight loss phase. 

Food Tips - In my opinion, most dairy, fruits and nuts should only be used as 'condiments' during the weight loss phase. Protein should be dense (primarily meat) and contain at least 10 grams of protein for each 100 calories. Lead with dense protein, follow with a bite or two of veggies. And then you're done. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Cardamom
on 11/20/15 5:40 pm

I had my surgery a couple weeks before you, started as somewhat of a lightweight as well and found myself asking very similar questions over the past two weeks.  While I don't have any recommendations to offer, I was happy to read the responses above.  Best of luck to you!   

SW:218 Surgery Weight: 204 on 7/20 M1:178.5 (-25.5) M2:164.5 (-14) M3:151 (-13.5) M4:144 (-7) M5:138.8 (-5)  CW:131.6  GW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics