Anyone else about 7 weeks post op?

Laura R.
on 11/22/15 8:32 am

Hello! I had my surgery on 10/5 and I am just curious, for those who are on the same time line, what your daily diet is like? I try to get two premier protein shakes in a day and fill the rest of my protein requirement (80 g a day) from food. I so want to start trying salad but am too nervous  just yet. I have tried a lot of different food and seem to manage to keep it all down ok. I spent last week in Disneyland with my family which was a challenge. The food is not diet friendly but I managed ok because I brought my shakes with me. Had some chicken nuggets and eggs here and there. So what are you eating every day??

thanks! Laura 

SDenae
on 11/22/15 9:10 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Hi Laura,

I'm 8.5 weeks out. I was told no raw veggies until 60+ days out, which just so happens to be today for me.

As for what I eat, mostly baked chicken or turkey. Sometimes I have tuna or pork. Right now I don't really have room for anything else after I eat my protein. I was making ground turkey chili, but I felt I was becoming reliant on it. I wanted it at every meal.

I'm sick today (a cold, I think) so I'm eating some Campbell's chicken noodle soup (my "sick" food since I was a child), but I am only eating the suggested serving instead of a whole can.

Good luck on your journey!

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Laura R.
on 11/23/15 1:56 pm

Thanks!! Let me know how the raw veggies work out! I haven't tried that yet either :)

Duetoprivacy
on 11/22/15 9:32 am, edited 11/22/15 1:53 am

We have the same surgery date!

My surgeon and nutritionist's post-op plan moved significantly faster than many others with regard to incorporating vegetables and solid foods. I have had zero complications and tolerate everything well. My goal is 60-80 grams of protein per day. I'm freaked out about the possible/probable skin and hair changes, so I've been supplementing my 60 grams of regular protein with 11 or so grams of collagen protein (it is not a complete protein so I don't count it toward my minimum protein goals). I don't know if it will help, but I'm very vain about my hair, so be it.

I also log absolutely everything I put in my mouth in My Fitness Pal.

Here's my typical week day (weekends are on a different time schedule):

5:00AM- 16 ounces of water with my morning vitamin routine (calcium citrate, biotin, vitamin D, turmeric, garlic, cinnamon)

6:00 AM- Coffee with steamed Fairlife Skim Milk (13g protein, 80 calories) plus two tablespoons of collagen powder protein (11g collagen protein, 43 calories) This keeps me full for a while. 

Water (22 ounces or best effort 7:00 until about 9:15)

10:00 AM- 1 small container (Breakstone's) cottage cheese (10g protein, 90 calories), two baby carrots if I have room

11:00 AM -12:15 PM- Peppermint Tea (10 oz)

1:00 PM- Triple Zero Oikos Greek Yogurt (15g protein, 120 calories), 1 ounce shredded chicken breast (5g protein, 35 calories)

Water (22 ounces or best effort 2:00 until about 3:45)

4:15- 1 small container (Breakstone's) cottage cheese  (10g protein, 90 calories)

Water (22 ounces or best effort) 5:00-6:15

7:00- 2 ounces dense lean protein (usually chicken breast, pork tenderloin, scallops, salmon, ground bison, hamburger, or steak) (protein varies, but minimum 11g protein 60-100 calories) a couple of small spears of broccoli if I have room

8:30- Sugar free popsicle (10 calories) and my multivitamin Centrum chewable (5 calories)

Water by the bed. 

Calories- Approximately 500-550, protein 63-70g. My nutritionist wants me closer to 650 calories per day so I save that extra 100 or so calories for seasonings and healthy fats. 

Laura R.
on 11/23/15 1:56 pm

Thanks for all of your great info! I wish I liked cottage cheese it would make things easier!! Lots of good ideas and info!

paflyersgal
on 11/23/15 5:02 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello!

My surgery date was 10/6/2015. Last week I was approved to move into a full diet. My doctor and nutritionist wants me to add fruit and soft veggies back into my diet.

I'm too busy and always on the run to measure and log everything I do. Im a bad bad girl. I however found some 4 oz containers at the dollar store and I pre-make my meals in them. 

My typical day looks a little like this..

Breakfast: Greek Yogurt (80-100 calories)

Mid morning I am usually at work by now so I have a premiere protein shake

Lunch: Chicken/tuna/egg salad 

Around like 2-4pm I have another shake.

Dinner: I have been eating chicken and green beans. I have tacos with no shell and the other day I made pizza with a cauliflower crust. The pizza lasted me three days.. When I make dinner I end up eating . it for a few days, so I spoon it out into my containers. 

Lots of people live by apps and measuring their food. I'm just don't have the time. I've done pretty well so far though. I lost about 54 pounds pre-op and I have lost about 34 lbs post-op so far. I walk as much as I can and I lift so hand weights at night. I make sure I am reaching my protein and water goals. I use to drink propel until I realized it had sodium in it, so I've given those up. 

Good Luck and listen to your doctors, I've been cleared to eat whatever I want.. I just don't want to eat it.. Lol! 

Karen

Laura R.
on 11/23/15 1:59 pm

Thanks for your info! I am the same way. I do try to track in myfitnesspal but am not super consistent. I feel like I am doing ok by eyeing food. I have 4 kids and two of them are toddlers so I do not have much time to measure and weigh. I'm lucky just to have time to eat lol. I am down about 34lbs at this point so I'm happy :)

suzyq584
on 11/23/15 7:14 am

Hi,

My surgery was 10/8 so we are all really close together.  My plan also progressed quite a lot faster than others as far as restrictions etc...I've been eating pretty much everything since about 3-4 weeks out.  I have not yet tried salad either because I hear a lot of others struggle with lettuce.  I did have a bite of celery over the weekend and that went down just fine.  I too haven't found anything that I can't eat or that makes me nauseous.  Lucky and a curse I guess!  :)

Here is my typical day.  I am trying not to rely on shakes or bars anymore.

Breakfast: 2-3 oz leftover dinner (I don't like eggs or breakfast foods) of usually pesto chicken or buffalo chicken dip

Snack:  String cheese (if I feel hungry.  Sometimes I don't eat this snack)

Lunch:  Wendy's chili (1/3 of a small) or 2-3 oz pesto chicken or buffalo chicken dip or the like.

Snack: String cheese or other low fat cheese (usually eat this snack)

Dinner:  2-3 oz of chicken dish of some sort

Water between everything of course.  I aim to get in at least 64 oz of water, 60-80 grams of protein and try to keep carbs under 40 grams.

Good job at Disney!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Duetoprivacy
on 11/23/15 7:55 am

Please tell me more about your buffalo chicken dip. I think that I want to go to there. :)

suzyq584
on 11/23/15 9:07 am

OMG it is a lifesaver!  I'm a REALLY finicky eater.  Chicken is pretty much the only protein (besides cheese which causes another slew of issues!) that I like so finding tasty ways to eat it is challenging.  This is a recipe I found from another poster here and it is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S and easy!

• 10 oz of shredded chicken.  (The recipe says you can used the canned stuff but I didn't like that much so I just boil chicken breasts then shred.)
  • 1 package low fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce (increase/decrease for taste level if you'd like)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

----

Soften the cream cheese so that you can mix the other ingredients in.  Mix all together in a 9" glass baking dish (anything will work really) saving 1/4 cup of the cheese to sprinkle on the top. Bake at 350 for 20 mins.

This is actually 1/2 the recipe so you could double everything for the full recipe if you are cooking for others or really want to make lots!  I will be doing that for Superbowl this year so that I can bring a tasty treat that I can eat. 

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics