Stage transitions question

ubserved
on 11/21/15 7:59 am

Hello Gang, hopefully all are enjoying their weekend, I have a question, I am coming up on the 1 week mark post op, seems like this week has flown by while stood still all at the same time, in another week I am supposed to transition to the puree phase of the program, personally I have never been a fan of pureed anything, I plan to ask my doc on my 2 weeks or so follow up on 11/13 but I thought I would pose my question here first, is there a issue if someone stays on liquids for the most part during the week 3 and 4 puree stage, such as the protein shakes, my sobe zero calorie lifewaters and say mixing in some yogurt as a change in pace? I had actually considered running a mostly liquid diet for 2 months just to maximize the initial weight loss, such as once I hit the soft foods phase in week 5 to 8 phase, staying mostly as I mention I am now but then at that stage adding in some cottage cheese, some deli meat, egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, etc as it mentioned in the binder my nutritionist gave me. Any ideas or suggestions? I know I can't stay on the liquid diet forever, who would want to anyways, but I have seen that some people have been on a liquid pre-op diet up to 4 months prior to surgery, so I don't think I would be hurting anything as long as I keep my protein level and vitamin level up. Also another question that occurred to me, I live in Northern California, I have Anthem Blue Cross and after just so many headaches dealing with them, I have switched effective 1/1/16 to Kaiser, anyone have Kaiser in Northern California, was it a good choice for me to switch, a good chunk of my follow up care will be with them obviously and I was curious if anyone had any insight they would like to share.

White Dove
on 11/21/15 9:39 am - Warren, OH

As long as you get enough protein your body does not care whether it came from liquid or puree

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Litenfit
on 11/21/15 9:49 am
with

From what I have learned, when you are ready for puree and solids, you need to start introducing them. Your stomach will not start working normally if you don't eat normally. Check with your doc or a nutritionist to make sure you are on track with your food. 

LS2dv8
on 11/21/15 3:53 pm

I think this is am individual thing.  I am 3 weeks post op and I find that eating 2 Oz of chicken is more filling than a liquid protein 

But my doctor  really wants to limit the number of liquid  protein and figure out how to eat.   So I do one premier  protein shake a day,  greek yogurt,  and crock pot chicken :)

Good luck!

LS2DV8

psychoticparrot
on 11/21/15 4:00 pm

This is not strictly "pureed," but I was too sick during the puree stage to prepare anything. I lived on tiny nibbles of Winn-Dixie tuna salad. It went down okay, although it's not exactly what my nutritionist would have recommended.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

jennabee13
on 11/21/15 10:44 pm

The pureed stage was not fun for me at all. I existed mostly on yogurt, blended refried beans with a dab of guacamole and sour cream (burrito without the tortilla, YUM!), and a few thick but non-chunky soups. Everything else was liquid. I agree with the other post that you should continue to follow your program and progress through the stages. Your new tummy needs to practice eating. I would find a few things you like/tolerate and also continue with your liquids. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics