One day to go...

ubserved
on 11/16/15 12:53 am

So here I am, a few hours over a day to go until surgery on Tuesday morning. Honestly, I have this nagging feeling like this is a big mistake, that I'm going to end up flat lining on the table, I am sure I am just stressed over the upcoming surgery and I am going through with it one way or another, just the nagging feeling is foremost on my mind, I have had surgery before over the years and never had the feeling that my mortality was on a countdown. Did anyone else have this mindset? I don't mean the what if's, but the feeling of dread that what you were about to undertake was a horrible mistake?

Grim_Traveller
on 11/16/15 2:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think most people have feelings like those. Surgery is a big deal. But the vast majority of folks breeze through it without the tiniest issue. Even those with complications wind up saying they'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Be sure and update us and let us know how it went.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cmcelfish
on 11/16/15 4:11 am

Good luck to you everything will be OK. Your doctor would never do surgery unless he though you will be OK. Doctors have a pretty good look into your body with your medical history test  they have done and experience. I was suppose to have had hip surgery in sept. My doctor cancelled because he though it would be unsafe outcome unless I loose at lease 80 pounds..your doctor is the same if he did not think you would do go he would tell you no. Make us proud show us how its done

Joe

cappy11448
on 11/16/15 6:03 am

I think most of us consider the worst.  I put off WLS until I was over 60 and so obese that my life was on a downward spiral. If I had known how successful it would be, I would have done it sooner. 

My surgery was so uneventful, and I worried so much.  So try to relax and assume the best.  Try not to worry about things that probably won't happen.  If you have complications, you'll have time to worry later!

Best of luck.  You'll do great and you'll love the results.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

sheila0
on 11/16/15 6:39 am - Magnolia, TX

I had my surgery last Tuesday 11.10.15 and felt the same way.  What I am doing!  I am sure I want to make this life change forever.  I am so glad I did it and now I am going for my one week check up tomorrow.  It was really very easy as far as the surgery, now the pain afterwards is real...but it doesn't last.  Walk as much as you can it really does help after surgery.  You will do great.

Sheila

callikia
on 11/16/15 8:39 am

Pretty sure everyone is different.  I had anxiety for weeks leading up to the surgery.  Day of I was calm as a cucumber.  You can do it!  Best of luck!

SDenae
on 11/16/15 10:45 am - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

You are not alone. I had the same thing. I even called all my loved ones and told them I loved them. Then, I made sure my husband knew my burial wishes.

I made it through just fine, and you will too.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey. ((Hugs))

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ubserved
on 11/16/15 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies, I know it will be fine, I know the mortality rate is exceptionally low although someone has to make up the statistics. Just the pre-surgery jitters I suppose. Just feels different somehow than past surgeries. IN the end though I know the doctor wouldn't do the surgery if he thought I would flat line on the table although he did mention I am the largest patient he will have operated on. Even more so that I mentioned that there are nine attorneys in my family which specialize in the legal version of a colonoscopy and that my sister who worked for the feds has seal members on speed dial.....no pressure right?

Tivvany
on 11/16/15 1:19 pm - Canada

I can relate 100%

I had that exact same very strong feeling this July. 

I had my gallbladder removed. 

The Surgeon said VSG is very similar type of procedure and recovery. That's why I'm sharing this. 

I said goodbye and love you to everyone. 

Only told my Mom about dying on table. 

Told her about my finances and that I wanted to be cremated other than organs that could be donated. 

I woke up from surgery very surprised. 

Didnt even need pain meds. 

It could just be fear of mortality playing tricks with your thoughts. 

All the very best,

Tiff

Most Active
Recent Topics