Does everyone really give up carbs?

frisco
on 11/12/15 10:58 am
On November 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM Pacific Time, DailyScoopGal wrote:

Hi guys!

My surgeon's plan mentions nothing about giving up carbs, just concentration of getting good protein and eating healthy. But since I've been doing my research online, it seems like everyone is seriously limiting their carbs hugely! Now I'm not saying I expect to be eating white bread or chomping on rice everyday, but what about grains/porridge/beans etc...

I spent 3 very miserable years on low carb before, and one of the main reasons I got this surgery was to final free myself from the cycle of diets. The last thing I want is to spend the rest of my life saying no to a whole food group! But is that just the only way I can expect to lose the weight? Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! :)

By the way, I've been eating carbs since my surgery a month ago, and I'm still down 42 pounds!

Only time will tell if your plan will work.

The only thing I can tell you is that from what I have seen, it sounds like a low percentage route.

Congrats on the 42lbs. but just know those will be the easiest and it becomes slower and harder as you go.

Carbs are the most common downfall for most that don't do well at this.

The key is to take the most effective way to a goal weight, than discover what your tolerances are in maintenance. 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

paflyersgal
on 11/12/15 11:11 am
VSG on 10/06/15

I was told not to give up carbs. Your body needs them. However; I stick to "good" carbs. Whole grains and gluten free items. I still eat potatoes but very small amounts and very limited times. Maybe once or twice a month. I no longer eat bread, I replaced bread with whole grain crackers or gluten free multi-seed crackers, also I found in the gluten free isle, crackers made from almonds which are very yummy. So when I have something like chicken salad or tuna, I use crackers. I eat oatmeal from time to time, but I have completely given up pizza and pasta. I make cauliflower crust for pizza and pasta substitute is spinach stings, it looks like spaghetti and I found it in the veggie section at the food store. There are always ways you can substitute to make a healthier meal. You don't have to give up everything you love, you just have to learn to eat it less and eat less of it. Good luck!!

Karen

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/12/15 11:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I avoid white carbs now as much as possibly, things like like bread, crackers, rice, potatoes and pasta.  I definitely avoided them for the first year after surgery.  Eating low carb (around 30-40 grams per day) helped me drop a lot of weight during that first year.

I think eating healthy, portioned quantities of non-processed foods is a positive permanent change for anyone, not just us WLS patients.  I still try to avoid grains, have never eaten porridge in my life, and eat beans on occasion.  Some people eat more carbs than others and still lose weight.  The bottom line is inevitably portion control and calories.

It's impossible to completely eliminate carbs from your diet.  I get mine through vegetables and the Greek yogurt I eat. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Tracy D.
on 11/12/15 12:32 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I am a Type 2 diabetic who went off all medication when I had this surgery.  I am not "cured" of this disease, I am only in remission...and only then if I stay away from crappy carbs.  

My blood sugar soars into the scary heights if I eat a whole banana or a whole piece of any other fruit.  Same story with rice...white potatoes...pasta...crackers...bread.  I can get away with a piece of Ezekial bread now and then. 

So I haven't given up all carbs but I have to be pretty choosy about the ones I eat.  Veggies, sweet potatoes, some Ezekial bread seem to work OK.  The rest of it doesn't work so well for me.  Not that I haven't tried it - but the true test is what my blood sugar says after 30 minutes, 60 minutes and 90 minutes of eating something.  If it goes above 140 then I know it was too much or the wrong thing.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Spencerella
on 11/12/15 12:56 pm, edited 11/12/15 6:01 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

During the weight loss phase, I did very low calorie to maximize weight loss.  I strived to get 80 grams of protein daily, so there wasn't much room/calories left for anything else.  After a bite or two of veggies, I was done, so carbs were naturally low.  As a result, so was my hunger.  This kept my calorie intake low, so one thing reinforced the other.  

As far as I can tell, the majority of people at goal weight used this method to get there.  Dense protein keeps you satisfied, helps your body heal from the surgery, and is low calorie in the amounts we can consume.  

In maintenance, I eat more carbs of course, but they are tricky because they can trigger cravings.  So while in weight loss mode, I would suggest you stick to 'incidental' carbs (20-40 daily) so that you don't trigger yourself to overeat.  Worry about how to add carbs back when you transition into maintenance.   

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

frisco
on 11/12/15 2:39 pm

This is a GREAT term !!!!

'incidental' carbs

There are sooo many "hidden" carbs and calories in just about everything !!!!

Sometimes I think there are carbs in air !!!! Every time I walk by the Cinnabon at the airport, I swear the smell has both carbs and calories !!!

We get significantly more carbs than we think, just by the 'incidental' carbs !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

happyteacher
on 11/12/15 4:02 pm

I ate carbs. 30net at a meal, 15 net at snacks. Worked great,but was careful to not eat too much at one sitting. I also avoided refined and white cards. Sticking to fruit and veggies low on the glycerin index. Once in a while a little while grain, but I don't do much bread and such at all. 

I now have to do less (100 or less a day is my target) due to a1c creeping up and a fasting sugar above 100. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 11/12/15 9:35 pm

High-quality protein first.

Then a few high-quality carbs: Processed grains and sugars = bad carbs; Nonstarchy vegetables = good carbs.

That's my plan.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/15 5:30 pm

Hi guys,

I just can't thank you all enough for your replies! I feel like I have a much much better understanding of my (future) relationship with carbs. Protein first and moderation is key :D

Thank you all so much!

poplargreys
on 11/16/15 7:31 pm
VSG on 03/31/15

I am approaching my 8 month mark and the bulk of my carbohydrates come from dairy and vegetables. I have not started transitioning to maintenance yet, so I have not begun experimenting with adding in things like fruit, grains, starches, etc. since I am trying to make the most of my 'honeymoon' months. When I do start adding in more 'carby' things to my menu, it will be carefully planned out so that I can see how my body reacts, and I do not plan to regularly eat things like potatoes, bread, pasta, or sweets/desserts since they really don't offer me anything worthwhile.

Most Active
Recent Topics