VSG and Diabetes

yummysmokedham
on 11/12/15 7:25 am

I am looking at having bariatric surgery sometime in March 2016.  I am 6'2" and currently weight 369 lbs and currently have several comorbidities including type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, pre-hypertension, and a heart arrythmia condition called PVC.  I am currently debating between a VSG or some type of Gastric Bypass, either the traditional RNY or mini.  My wife had the RNY procedure done about 4 years ago and has had great success with it, but she did not have an comorbidities.  When I started out doing my research on procedures I was convinced that I would be getting some type of gastric bypass but I am seeing more and more great success stories from people that have had a VSG.  My diabetes is well controlled, I take two 500mg metformin a day, my fasting glucose level in the morning averages in the low 140s and my A1C is reallly good at anywhere from 5.9 to 6.1.  I would love to hear all of your success stories and all of your failures related to VSG and diabetes.  I would also be curious to know if anyone has opted for a revisionary duodenal switch if the VSG did not work for them.  Thank you in advance. 

Tracy D.
on 11/12/15 8:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I am also a Type 2 diabeteic - was taking 1000mg Metformin and 10mcg Byetta each day.  I went home the day after surgery off all my meds.  My fasting glucose is always under 100 and my A1c runs between 5.1 and 5.5.  

Make no mistake - I am not "cured" of diabetes.  I am simply in remission and only remain that way because of my compliance with the eating program.  I will admit to eating sugar and crappy carbs on occasion and my blood sugar skyrockets when I do it.  I end up feeling like crap and put myself closer to needing meds again.  I've known people who had this surgery, thought they were "cured", went back to eating lots of carbs and ended back up on medication.  You have to change the way you eat for life to stay in remission.  

The VSG is simply a restrictive surgery, meaning it decreases the amount you can consume at one time.  But you'll be able to eat anything eventually, and those sugary crappy carbs go down real easy! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/12/15 1:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm a type 2 diabetic & chose the vsg. I'm on the lowest dose of diabetes medication & am working my way off of it. However most of the change was due to dietary lifestyle changes even b4 surgery.

When I was first diagnosed I was on long acting & short acting insulin, along with the pills which was at a high dose. So I worked my way down from there, losing the weight has helped even more, but ultimately, I think, it comes down to what you eat that'll eventually put it into remission, that along with the weight loss & lifestyle changes. However not everyone gets off the meds, but I think most do, if they stick with the program.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

happyteacher
on 11/12/15 3:57 pm

I was exactly your size, diabetic, high cholesterol, pvc, tachycardia, and a cancer patient. No longer diabetic, but started creeping back toward so tightened up my eating. Cholesterol is worse (wtf!!!), and cancer is managed. Had very lowbloodpressure, but normal. Vsg worked brilliantly for me. Still at goal 4 years later.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/15 10:59 am
RNY on 05/04/15

RNY can resolve diabetes more quickly because of the intestinal rerouting, but many who have VSG are able to put their diabetes in remission just with weight loss after VSG. I was off all diabetes meds starting the day before my RNY. My husband got off his last one (metformin) about 4 months after his VSG. Not sure that's a fair comparison since his diabetes was once way more out of control than mine, but I required more meds to control mine. Having your diabetes well under control now and not being insulin-dependent gives you an even better shot at remission through weight loss regardless of which route you go.

Most Active
Recent Topics