Not filling enough?

Wyldblu
on 11/11/15 10:41 am

I stole this from my last post..but the question is...shouldn't this have filled me up?

Well I did it. I broke down and had a very loosely scrambled egg last night for dinner. Ate it very slowly. Chewed it to a fine mush and it was cold before I finished it. A couple of things I noticed...

It went down fine, no problems at all with it.

It tasted funny...kind of like plastic. I asked my husband to try it and he said it was tasted fine. Odd.

It did not fill me up like I thought it would. About an hour later, I had a small cup of applesauce too (sugar free). It also went down fine with no problem, and I still didn't fill full.

No problems at all with any of it, except I REALLY thought I would not be able to finish the one egg, or at least be full from it. Hmmmm

Wyldblu

Gwen M.
on 11/11/15 10:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

When did you have surgery?  Remember, your nerves were severed and you won't feel restriction until your stomach is healed.  

Not that you should be eating things to try to feel restriction.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Wyldblu
on 11/11/15 10:59 am

My surgery was 10/29/15. 

Wyldblu

Gwen M.
on 11/11/15 11:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're definitely still healing.  Stick the diet progression your surgeon gave you and don't expect your stomach to tell you anything reliable until you're 6-8 weeks out and eating more solid foods.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/15 11:49 am

Hmmm... you're not even two weeks out until tomorrow. You said you "broke down". Does this mean you are not yet supposed to be eating soft food? If that is the case, please stick to your prescribed food progression. Advancing prior to your surgeon's prescription could put your health at risk. 

I was allowed to eat soft solids at two weeks out. One of the things my surgeon told me was that the more liquid and loose soft foods were the less I might feel restriction. When I scrambled my first scrambled egg it was on the drier side. I was not able to fini**** However, at the same time I could easily eat a 1/4 cup of Eggface's Ricotta Bake and not feel full at all. Apple Sauce wouldn't have filled me up one bit - though it was not allowed on my program. 

Your stomach nerves will not be really well healed for several months. You may not have strong feelings of restriction for a month or two. Until then, do not push your portions to feel restriction. Stick to measure portions - small ones at that - so that you do not damage the staple line of your new stomach. 

Also, please remember, the number one reason for post op complications is patient non compliance. 

Wyldblu
on 11/11/15 12:04 pm

Yeah, the sad fact is that I can not drink one more protein drink, or anymore soup. It is now at the point of even looking at them makes me nauseous. I am approved for soft foods as of tomorrow, but I had a scrambled egg last night. It isn't really much of a choice for me. Puke up another protein drink, or try a couple days early.

I am normally very compliant when it comes to my doctor's recommendations. But I guess my body has had enough of the liquid. As my previous post said, I literally almost threw up the protein drink I was trying to have for lunch yesterday It was all I could do not to puke it back up. I can eat jello, pudding, yogurt...all day long, but let's face it...I am not getting the nutrients I need that way. So, yeah...I ate, 2 days early. 

Just a bit ago, I thought, well, maybe I will try one more time on the protein drink. I got through about 1/2 the bottle and nope...had to throw the rest away.  I going to go out and get some low fat cottage cheese. I figure, it's not that much different from the yogurt which I am allowed to have..and I am allowed that as of tomorrow anyway.

Wyldblu

Shel25
on 11/11/15 12:50 pm

I know the progression issue is mute as of tomorrow.  But, other things are going to come up as well that may test your "compliance."  (I kind of hate that word but don't have a better one, either.)  

Your surgeon and his staff are there to help you and you should involve them.  You might be pleasantly surprised by their solution, whatever it may be.  And, if you didn't like the solution, I suppose then you could still choose to be non-compliant. That is always a choice.  (Apologies if you said somewhere that you did talk to the office and I missed it.) 

By the way, after surgery I couldn't even look at a protein powder can on a store shelf without gagging much less mix up the ones I had stocked at home.  So I get the nausea/gagging thing.  But, I looked to the surgeon for help rather than blazing my own path.  

Blazing my own way and not asking for help is part of what got me to the point of needing WLS.  

It will get better. My nausea gradually diminished then went away but it took weeks.  But, it was only in the last several weeks (so about 10 months out) that I was able to mix up a protein drink without nausea.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

hollykim
on 11/11/15 12:09 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM Pacific Time, Wyldblu wrote:

I stole this from my last post..but the question is...shouldn't this have filled me up?

Well I did it. I broke down and had a very loosely scrambled egg last night for dinner. Ate it very slowly. Chewed it to a fine mush and it was cold before I finished it. A couple of things I noticed...

It went down fine, no problems at all with it.

It tasted funny...kind of like plastic. I asked my husband to try it and he said it was tasted fine. Odd.

It did not fill me up like I thought it would. About an hour later, I had a small cup of applesauce too (sugar free). It also went down fine with no problem, and I still didn't fill full.

No problems at all with any of it, except I REALLY thought I would not be able to finish the one egg, or at least be full from it. Hmmmm

there is no such thing as sugar free applesauce. There is "no sugar added", but that still has plenty of pure sugar from he apples. Even natural sugar is sugar. As long as you are eating carby things like apple sauce,sugar IS a carb,you are not going to feel full. 

You didn't feel full from the egg because your nerves are still severed. Something we have to learn on this journey is we don't have to feel full. We have to learn to be satisfied with enough. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/11/15 1:47 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You will not feel any restriction for several weeks.  Even then, it's not wise to "test" your restriction.  When you start eating soft or pureed foods, you should be measuring them.

Compliance is a big component of long term success.  I understand that protein shakes are gross.  They are, when you're drinking nothing else.  But that's what you signed up for as the plan provided after surgery.  There are many ways to get them down, such as putting them in bottle with a lid so the smell won't make you gag.  

The first few weeks are rough, but will be a distant memory several months from now.  It behooves you to follow your program TO A TEE.  No short cuts, no pushing up the date, no testing the waters, so to speak.

Are you drinking plenty of fluids?  At least 64 ounces a day?

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Wyldblu
on 11/11/15 2:55 pm

Believe me, I am not interested in "testing" my restriction. I already know what that feels like from when I had the lap band. I cannot do any more protein shakes. I have tried. It isn't the smell, it's the taste, the texture...the everything. I am just done with them. So, I will have soup again tonight. Not what I want, but it's only one more "meal". In the mean time, I will have to get a food scale, as I do not have one right now. They have me starting soft foods tomorrow..cottage cheese, even thin sliced deli meats is on there. I can live with that for now As far as 64 oz of liquid...I haven;t been measuring, but have been going by the signs my doctor told me to watch for to be sure I am hydrated enough. I have a 1 ltr bottle that I fill with water, but cannot seem to get even that down. However, I will drink tea, which also counts.

Wyldblu

Most Active
Recent Topics