Can this be true-also??

twiddleDee
on 11/9/15 3:06 pm

Has anyone watched you tube videos of Dr Matthew Weiner- gastric surgeon?  He has 10 or more videos on vertical sleeve, and what he tells his patients pre & post op. Ex:  can drink while eating, can use a straw, after 3 mths go on a veg/fruit first then protein, plus other things that are interesting, if it works.  just wondering! Dee

hollykim
on 11/9/15 3:12 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 9, 2015 at 11:06 PM Pacific Time, twiddleDee wrote:

Has anyone watched you tube videos of Dr Matthew Weiner- gastric surgeon?  He has 10 or more videos on vertical sleeve, and what he tells his patients pre & post op. Ex:  can drink while eating, can use a straw, after 3 mths go on a veg/fruit first then protein, plus other things that are interesting, if it works.  just wondering! Dee

it is apparently true for him...it is his opinion of what works. The real test would be to know how successful his patients are following that plan.

twiddleDee
on 11/10/15 7:02 am

I agree, but you don't hear any of that!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/15 3:39 pm - Hilliard, OH
WLS on 07/27/15

I don't know about the rest of it, but mine said I ca drink through a straw, and if it causes discomfort or excess gas, to stop - if it doesn't should be fine.

But in my opinion, you should follow what YOUR surgeon says. Every else's advise may sound great, but I think sticking to your plan is the best idea.

Good Luck! :)

twiddleDee
on 11/10/15 7:08 am

You are right-seems alot of sleevers have different can/cannot do's from their dr.  My dr. didn't give me "sound" advice saying "eat whatever you want, if it makes you sick, stop eating it" this was at my 1 wk visit!!! I did stick with my plan from the nutritionist, and experimented with some things, only to learn-"nope to soon"! ha!  Dee

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/15 4:28 pm

I haven' tsesen his videos though I have read a lot of comments about that Dr. Howvere when doing pre-surgical research I did notice that other countries in the world have very different recommendations to the US. Many of the European nations recommend going back to a "normal diet" just with smaller portions. Some suggest many more fruits and veggies and thus less protein. Guess it is what works for you and your body.

NYMom222
on 11/9/15 9:27 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have watched most of his videos... but it has been awhile. Many surgeons say you can use a straw...just not right after surgery. I started using one at about 3 weeks and have never had a problem. As far as the drinking goes, I think he was more in the camp of it is not the end of the world if you take some sips during a meal... not like guzzling fluids.

My take on his protein/veg and fruit stance was after three months it was not that you were reducing your protein, but as you are naturally able to eat more you add fruits and vegetables not necessarily more protein.

I haven'****ched recent videos, so this could have changed... but this was my take on what he talks about.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

twiddleDee
on 11/10/15 7:13 am

Yes, that is what he said, at 3mths go from protein first to fruit/veggies, then protein.  I think some would like to do that-sick of meat/cheese by then.

I see you are almost to goal!  woowoo!!  good luck !  Dee

Grim_Traveller
on 11/10/15 8:14 am
RNY on 08/21/12

We all became morbidly obese by eating what we wanted to eat. Do yourself a favor and don't go looking around for a plan that you think you'd like better than the one you were given. Making our own plans ended in disaster the last time. It's not apt to work out better this time.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Tracy D.
on 11/10/15 10:42 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My surgeon told me a lot of stupid crap - thank god I came on here to read advice from vets who were successful over many years and did what they said they had done, not what he said I could do.  Very few of the WLS veterans that go to my doc's support group have maintained their weight loss - most of them have serious regain.  So his plan is crap!  

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.  Can you drink while you eat? Sure you can!  Can you eat fruit/veggies before protein? Sure you can! Can you drink through a straw?  Sure you can (and frankly, I do now with no problem).  But SHOULD you??  

I can tell you that drinking with meals and not eating protein first sabotaged my SIL on two weight-loss surgeries.  She never lost all her weight and is headed back up the scale and is morbidly obese again.  And the people in my support group who never lost all their excess weight or who are struggling with regain don't follow the "rules" I found on this website.  

Follow the winners and you will be a winner too! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics