Surgery Tomorrow - What Should I be Sure to Take? Grumpy?

speakmymynd
on 11/9/15 6:44 am

Hi All:

I'm planning on having my pillow from home, some ChapStick, toothpaste, toothbrush, and floss. Is there anything else, especially related to this surgery, that I should have with me at the hospital?

Also, in my last appointment with the surgeon, when my wife asked what she should expect, the doctor told her that I would likely be grumpy after surgery; was that your experience?

I'm a hopeless optimist, and the guy who usually cheers everyone else up; me grumpy, really?

Thanks, Mark

MaraFaith
on 11/9/15 6:57 am - denham springs, LA

Everyone gets grumpy Mark :) A hospital setting can definitely do that to anyone. My surgery isn't until Wednesday, but I can tell you that after my galbladder surgeryI was very grumpy on the car ride home because I was still in some pain. Let yourself be grumpy if it happens. Good luck!

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

Gwen M.
on 11/9/15 7:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You will likely be grumpy, emotional, miserable, and all out of sorts.  It's good that your partner is forewarned!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

psychoticparrot
on 11/9/15 8:20 am

I was riding so high on having survived the surgery and from residual anesthesia fumes that I was a delight to everyone around me. At least that's what I was told. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

stacy T.
on 11/9/15 9:51 am - San Francisco, CA

The thing I was MOST grateful to have on hand last week when my daughter got her sleeve was a small bottle of 'Better Than Buillon' chicken stock. It mixes with ho****er and will taste about a bazillion times better than the dish water the hospital may serve you for broth.

My daughter couldn't stomach the hospital broth, but the BTB is a great quality product and mixed with boiling water in a cup, she had tasty chicken broth when ever she needed it. I heated the water in a mug in a microwave and stirred in the chicken base. We like the low sodium organic. It helped with the Grumpies ; -)

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/15 11:14 am

OMG, I was so so sooooooo miserable and grumpy immediately following surgery. My mom was with me and I toggled between wanting her to hug me and yelling at her for not saying the right thing. I'm so ashamed of my behaviour but there's nothing I can do now...I just apologized and tried to be nice when I could! 

Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics