"Milk-it's what NOT for dinner....lunch....breakfast.........

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/15 4:17 am, edited 11/8/15 8:19 pm

I have dairy and soy allergies . 

I found pretty good Vegan (no soy, or dairy) protein powders. Or egg white proteins. 

Try Vega brand. The are OK. The Vega smoothies brand, though more expensive - are really nice. 

"Orgain" - are really nice (my Costco sell some of them).

"Plant fusion" are also nice. 

I use Hemp proteins, but they are green, very earthy in taste .. And just by itself don't have the proper amino acid profile (IMO ) they are also very high in fiber - I would not recommend that for someone so early out.  I myself can only drink that mixed with other stuff - little at a time. And not every day... 

I use unsweet almond or coconut milks. 

Good luck. 

When I need to follow a liquid diet - I do try to rotate my proteins. And use more eggs.. 

BTW- most helth food stores have "open box return policy" - if you don't like it - can't use it , they can take it back. Vega proteins have individual packs... At least some of them do. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

twiddleDee
on 11/9/15 6:34 am

Thanks H.a.L.a B.,  You know exactly what I am talking about!  so many taste awful, you would never drink them no matter how bad you need them.  I have tried some, and whats the point of gagging, and nearly throwing up after a few swallows??!! I know I need to "toughen" up, but not there yet.  I haven't heard of 2 you mentioned, gonna check them out.  Not sure if my area will take back opened things.  No store around me sells vegan protein powder/drinks, (there are only 2-3 healthfood stores) they claim, no one bought them,they were to expensive and no one could stand to drink them.  The few people telling me to do hemp, has only had hemp in the seeds.  How bad could a protein drink be they say?? Well, I am taking your advice since you have drank them  and know.  Thank you for passing your knowledge on !  Dee 

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/15 7:41 am

lol.. ia m 7 years post op and I can drink almost anything... but some of the protein drinks - - not so much... I could force feed myself maybe one - or 2 .. after that - not so much.. 

try places on line - vitamin shoppe- or Lucky vitamins.  I think they have individually packed proteins. 

I know they have some. 

I tried some egg white proteins - but most of them - "no go".  Plus I already eat a lot of eggs so I did not wanted to add more... I already have enough food allergies to add egg allergy to the mix.  

one way I eat eggs - homemade egg drop soup: boil chicken or beef stock - pour egg mixture into boiling stock and stir well. Take off the stove when start boiling again... when I need to have more "liquid" I just blend that bit more.. adding a bit of pepper or even dill adds extra taste...  

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/15 8:35 am

one more thing - most of the one i listed - have stevia...so if you don't like that- ouch - tough...

for plain - plant fusion has unsweetened - unflavored protein powder. Then yu cna add flavors - SF syrups, etc.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics