"Milk-it's what NOT for dinner....lunch....breakfast.........

twiddleDee
on 11/8/15 2:20 pm

I am struggling with a milk allergy and or lactose intolerant, to the point I cannot even do whey isolate.  I am hoping to find an acceptable protein drink, after researching alot!!- I think I am going with Hemp protein. has anyone tried it to give me their opinion?? pretty please!! 

rocky513
on 11/8/15 3:53 pm - WI

What are the symptoms of your intolerance/allergy?  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

twiddleDee
on 11/8/15 4:30 pm

I have been on premier protein drinks since surgery (7wks out this tuesday) but from having pain every day from sun up to sun down, it was told to me I probably have a milk allergy or lactose intolerance.  I have incredible stomach pains, cramping, nausea. (but no diarrhea)  I don't have the skin rash or breathing difficulties I've read with a milk allergy, but I bought some whey isolate to make shakes with (using water) and have the same symptoms (above).  After weeks of feeling so poorly, I think I am allergic to whey, hence me trying to find another kind of protein for shakes.  Any advice?  thanks rocky 513! Dee

Tracy D.
on 11/9/15 11:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You should really try something that's 100% whey protein isolate - Premier Protein is a blend that does not fit the bill.  100% whey protein isolate is typically lactose free, which can't be said of protein blends or concentrates.  

If you can't even handle 100% whey protein isolate then you might want to try the protein powders made out of peas.  No idea how they taste! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Donna L.
on 11/8/15 4:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You can get egg protein powder, and beef protein powder, as well.

Fairlife milk also supposedly works well for people with lactose intolerance... it's got 1/2 the sugar of regular milk and 2x the protein.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/9/15 4:19 am

But is is still milk and whey... Not sutable for someone with milk (dairy) allergy... I know from experiance..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 11/9/15 7:03 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh, I did not even think of that.  That's a bummer. :(

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

twiddleDee
on 11/9/15 6:41 am

I can't handle eggs yet, (7wks out) so not sure about the egg protein, I know there is a connection of course, with it being egg whites, but that is on my list, read of beef protein being alot to get down.   I was never much of a milk drinker, or ice cream eater, in fact haven't drink milk in over 25 yrs, only had it on cereal. Never knew I would have this kind of reaction to milk/whey. I think because of the quantity I was consuming daily with protein drinks.  Thanks for posting!! Dee

Angecakes
on 11/8/15 6:40 pm - Spokane Valley , WA

Have you tried the plant-based protein stuff?  Orgain is one of the brands.... not sure of others 

~Angecakes~

32 years old; Height: 5'6.5";   4 Wks Pre-op: 10/14/15 - 312 lbs with BMI 55

Surgery Date: 11/11/15 -  271 lbs;  3 Wks Post-op: 12/02/15 - 253 lbs with BMI 44 

zann50
on 11/9/15 4:00 am

Pea protein is another source that is animal/dairy free.  Google it, simple to find. 

Most Active
Recent Topics