NEEDED! Advice for making goals...

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 1:52 pm

I didn't have this convo with my surgeon prior to surgery (aside from him saying, "you should lose 50-60% of your excess weight easily"), and I'm wondering what kind of goals are attainable. I think getting down to 120 lbs would be a dream come true, but seeing as I've been overweight for several years now, I'd even take the ~140 lbs that my body seemed happy at post-college. Should I make a "realistic" goal and a "best case scenario goal"? Any advice is appreciated!

Spencerella
on 11/8/15 2:17 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

There are lots of goals worth setting and from my perspective a weight loss goal is a critical goal to set and aspire to. For me, I initially set that goal at the weight that would put me at the top end of normal BMI. When I reached that number, I reevaluated and set a lower number which I'd always thought of as my 'ideal' weight. When I reached that weight, I began my maintenance program. 

Best of luck to you!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/15 3:06 pm

Good idea, I will start there! Thanks so much!

Bonroxie19
on 11/8/15 7:31 pm

Spencerella,

good evening i was reading some of of your past posts.  i was very interested in the 10 grams of protein for each 100 cals.  I had never thought to do that.  i have just been weighing and entering into my fitness pal.  I have had a very good 8 months so far.  But in the last month i have not lost any weight.  I got some advice from different posters on OH and will be limiting my calories from 1100 to 800 to see if i can maybe get down another 5-10 pounds incase of regain.  I had a goal of 100 pounds which i did reach in October.  I am now thinking that I would like to go to 120.  

You are so successful just was wondering if you had any idea or wisdom you could share.

thank you 

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Spencerella
on 11/8/15 7:45 pm, edited 11/8/15 11:54 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I think it may have been me who suggested 800 cals to you in a post on another OH Board .... You're welcome to message me and we can chat in more detail about your specific situation.If I recall correctly, your NUT was suggesting you add calories and I was suggesting you cut them.  

I've seen lots of people eat a lot less than 800 cals (myself included) and I really see 800 as the upper end for many, particularly when you need to get down to lower goal weights like you and I. Personally I never ate more than 600 cals daily all the way until goal. Needless to say, it was almost all protein because I strived for a minimum of 80 grams daily.  

It could be hard for you to cut back to that level when you've been eating so many more calories already, but it still possible if you want do that. It would be a great way to get the scale moving again after a month of 'accidental maintenance'. I'd be happy to help you craft an approach.  

LINDA                 

Bonroxie19
on 11/8/15 8:00 pm

thank you for your quick reply.  I do want to cut back down to the 800 level. I could do the 600 cals.  if i chose that route will be three meals of 200 cals of protein which thank goodness i love.  I see already in my diet easy cuts, the nuts would have to go.  lots of calorie but not really protein.  I think since i have never tried the 10 protein for the 100 cals i could make that a goal to help me reach my weight goal.  I love a challenge.  

I am also very active.  running and working out with a trainer so that will help with calorie burn thru out the day.

any other thoughts that you have would be great.

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Spencerella
on 11/8/15 8:15 pm, edited 11/8/15 12:33 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm impressed with your level of willingness to make changes!  Another tip that may help - if you like shellfish, make large shrimp/prawns your best friend. They're super low cal, loaded with protein and at least for me, kept me satisfied for hours on end. Scallops are pretty good too. Similarly my best snack was beef jerky. 

You may get you to goal quickly nowso you may not have to do it for long. And if those last pounds prove to be stubborn, there's no reason to think your body won't adjust and be comfortable with less food. 

Also, while there's nothing wrong with exercise and some is beneficial, I would not suggest you add more until after you get to goal and settle into maintenance.  It's less food that's going to get the job done for you at this point in your journey.

Hope this helps!  I'm offering these suggestions based on my own experience and observing others' experiences here, so remember I'm only an 'expert' on myself ;-)

LINDA                 

Bonroxie19
on 11/8/15 8:51 pm

good news i love seafood, actually just packed my lunch for tomorrow and it is shrimp.  i did pack vegs and spaghetti squash with it so will just be eating the shrimp.  I do also like turkey jerky so can make that a go to as i ditch the nuts and also i eat fruit once or twice a week and can skip that.  

I do plenty of exercise now and how no plans to ramp that up.  

i will let you know how it goes.  I will be doing my measurements on 11/9 for the last month. If no loss on the scale i hope to see it in the measurements.   I am making now - 12/9 as my next goal month.  I am going for 5 pounds.  I will let you know how it is going.

have great evening...

Spencerella
on 11/9/15 7:30 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

It's fine to eat a bite or two of low carb veggies if you still ha e room after you eat your protein. I rarely had room after eating 3 oz protein. And as far as nuts, fruit and most cheeses, I only used them as toppings during weight loss (eg crushing an almond or two, chopping up a large strawberry). 

Good luck my friend. I really like your attitude and I'm pretty sure you're going to get the job done in no time at all!  Feel free to PM me any time. 

LINDA                 

Bonroxie19
on 12/14/15 9:44 pm

Hi Linda,

have not had a chance to share with the whole group but wanted to let you know after our email exchange I really buckled down and went with the 10 calories for every gram of protein.  Cut out the nuts also.  Well happy to report 6 pounds down last month and now under the goal of 125 pounds.   I have even entered ketotes I think.  Horrible metal taste to everything right now.  Been going on about a week.  I did call the doctor in case she thinks I should come in but I read lots of blogs on this site with people dealing with the same thing.  

Just wanted to to think you for the words of wisdom and support 

10 months out 

108 lost 

surgery weight 230

current weight 122

Most Active
Recent Topics