What's your favorite broth?

Oneillch
on 11/7/15 7:44 am, edited 11/6/15 11:54 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Not a dumb question and yes, you can add unflavored protein powder to the broth. I used Syntrax Nectar. It didn't change the flavor, but it did make the broth creamier. 

This is how my grandmother made it and it's truly Jewish Penicillin.....It's very easy, but does take work. In a soup pot (dutch oven) add cut up veggies (2-3 carrots, 2-3 stalks of celery including leaves & a large onion), a whole chicken with innards or chicken parts & feet (they have the best flavor & release healthy collagen into the soup). Cover with water and let it simmer, for about a 1/2 hour, then add about 2 tbls of whole peppercorns, half of a bunch of fresh (do not substitute dried) dill, and chicken bouillon cubes or chicken base (the amount depends on how much water you use). Let it simmer for another 2 hours, check for flavor & add either seasoned or celery salt, but only if needed. Let it simmer for a total of 3 hours, then remove from heat & let it cool. Remove veggies & chicken to another container. While still warm, remove the skin & bones and shred the meat. Either add it back into the soup (next day) along with the veggies or use for salad.  Use a metal strainer or a collander lined with cheesecloth and strain the broth into another container(s). Refrigerate overnight. The fat will rise to the top & can be removed. If you used chick feet, the broth will gel and and this is normal. I also like to add veggies like bok choy or cabbage and will blend the cooked veggies before putting back into the broth along with the shredded chicken. I also freeze some plain broth and use in other recipes. Good luck and by the way, as it cooks the aroma will drive eveyone in the house, including the animals, crazy! Let them have some too. 

lking
on 11/8/15 8:17 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

Thank you!  Chicken feet?!  Grosses me out just thinking about it...LOL!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

NYMom222
on 11/6/15 8:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I go to the Chinese restaurant and just ask for a quart of broth, no straining necessary.

I just recently bought at Costco Imagine brand Organic Chicken Broth. It is the only boxed broth that doesn't look like water to me and actually smells like chicken. You can buy it in the regular store too of course.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Angecakes
on 11/7/15 12:10 pm - Spokane Valley , WA

I would be concerned about the sodium content in the top ramen broth...  My favorite broth is beef consomme.

~Angecakes~

32 years old; Height: 5'6.5";   4 Wks Pre-op: 10/14/15 - 312 lbs with BMI 55

Surgery Date: 11/11/15 -  271 lbs;  3 Wks Post-op: 12/02/15 - 253 lbs with BMI 44 

Most Active
Recent Topics