i don't think i'm doing too well

meteb_otb
on 11/12/15 5:54 pm

hello every one

in almost 10 day i'll be 6 months post op... my initial weight was 485 lbs and today i weigh 384 .. so thats almost only a 100 lbs in 6 months

am i screwing up ?? for my kind of weight i should be loosing alot more ? how can i fix this

my food choices aren't exactly the best .. i'm 100% off sugar but still eat carbs like pizza and pasta only in small amounts

i swim like 3-4 times a week for atleast 30 minutes

could some one please tell me what to do ? i'm really frustrated

Sandra F.
on 11/12/15 9:02 pm

I think you are doing great but if you want to lose a bit faster, you should probably cut out some carbs.  Also tracking everything you are putting in your mouth, if you are not already doing so, helps hold you accountable.  Good luck to you!

meteb_otb
on 11/13/15 3:14 pm
On November 13, 2015 at 5:02 AM Pacific Time, Sandra F. wrote:

I think you are doing great but if you want to lose a bit faster, you should probably cut out some carbs.  Also tracking everything you are putting in your mouth, if you are not already doing so, helps hold you accountable.  Good luck to you!

thank you .. i'm going to start logging my food down and see from there

psychoticparrot
on 11/12/15 9:26 pm

100 pounds in 6 months is jaw-dropping! Pat yourself on the back a couple of times. I would suggest -- and this is for your health, not for weight loss -- to cut out the pizza and pasta and substitute non-starchy vegetables. Much healthier for you.

You're not in a weight race with anybody. You're losing steadily at a rate that, to me, is phenomenal. Your exercise program is in place. You want someone to tell you what to do? You're already doing it!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

meteb_otb
on 11/13/15 3:21 pm

wow thank you my friend that was really encouraging .. though i'm falling behind according to the expected weight loss schedual my doctor made for me .. which means i'm doing something wrong .. according to his orders i could eat whatever i want except for sugar .. more specifically refined sugar which i was 100% compliant on .. only i'm not seening enough success as planned which is a 176.4 lbs wight lost .. and i've only lost 100 so i feel like i'm screwing up

Spencerella
on 11/12/15 9:57 pm, edited 11/12/15 2:54 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

While a 100 pound weight loss is a good start, I think what you're telling us is that you've still got a lot to lose and you are getting frustrated with your progress.  I can appreciate that, and while we all want to be encouraging and recognize your progress, you are asking for help so I'll respond to that.

You need to maximize these early months post-op when your motivation is highest, your hunger is lowest and your restriction is greatest.  If you don't 'double down' now, the hard reality is that the further out you get from your surgery date, the less likely it becomes that you will lose as much weight as you're hoping for.  No one likes to hear this, but I've seen this happen to a lot of people here, both past and present.  Their weight loss slows to a snail's pace and eventually stops.  I say this not to alarm you, but rather to encourage you to make some big changes right away.  

If you want to lose weight more quickly, you will have to decrease your calories a lot more.  One way you can do that is by ditching the calorie laden carbs you're eating.  They are probably adding a lot of extra calories that do not leave you feeling much satiety.  The first few days will be tough but after that things will get a whole lot easier because your 'head hunger' will decrease and your restriction will increase. That's a win win combo!  Focus on eating dense protein (meat) and if you want, supplement with small portions of low carb veggies.  Keep things really simple and focus on primarily eating meat.  

Also, if you aren't regularly measuring and recording what you're eating, it would be very helpful for you to do that so you can truly understand what types of foods and how much you are actually eating.  For most of us who struggle with obesity, we underestimate the amount of food we are eating.  

As for your exercise routine goes, it would be great if you can continue what you're doing, but it won't be a game changer in terms of weight loss.  Earlier this evening, I read  these words and they stuck with me:  "Control what you put in your mouth to change your weight and control how much you move your body to change your fitness level".  

If you can commit to doing these things, I think you can continue to make good progress in the next six months.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

meteb_otb
on 11/13/15 3:25 pm

i certainly hope so .. i'm starting a food log today and i'm hoping for the best .. i've spent alot of money on this .. i can't just let it go to waste

ocean4dlm
on 11/13/15 2:42 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Hello-

We had our surgery around the same time. I can only share what is working for me. I have made it my job to comply with my program. My plan consists of protein, then vegetables, then fruit if there is room. I weigh and measure everything, and eat my protein first. Sometimes I have a few bites of vegetable. Rarely have I had fruit. My program does not recommend bread, rice, starchy vegetables etc. during the weight loss phase. I have followed that recommendation. My calorie range is 600-750 calories per day... usually between 650-700. I have not touched simple carbs, and am also off of sugar. I have head cravings once in a while, but maintaining my detox has eliminated physical cravings. I am so pleased with how my arthritis has responded to this detox, that it is my plan to transition into paleo /primal eating in maintenance. Grains and sugar are toxic for me.

Getting 64 oz. or more of water daily is essential to my weight loss. When I don't get all of my water in, my loss slows. I also swim 3x per week. I recently got a waterproof iPod to motivate me to increase my pace throughout the mile. I walk and do strength training on alternate days.

I encourage you to revisit the guidelines of your program, and to seek out healthy alternatives to choices like pizza. There are some great recipes for alternate crusts that are totally compliant with most programs.

You can do this !!!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

meteb_otb
on 11/13/15 3:29 pm

good bless you sir .. i applaud your commitment .. i like your diet plan sounds wonderful and very organized i'm going to try my best to do the same

Gwen M.
on 11/13/15 3:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm betting your plan doesn't call for pizza and pasta, so I'd work on sticking to your plan.  Are you seeing a therapist?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics