Carbonated beverages??

zann50
on 11/7/15 9:05 am

I tried one named ICE.  Sparkling water flavored with fake fruit...the first couple sips were okay.  Then not so much.  I am ten months out and will stick with water.

Spencerella
on 11/7/15 9:14 am, edited 11/7/15 1:13 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I didn't try drinking diet sodas until sometime after 18 months post op and I tolerated it just fine at that point. Unfortunately since then it became a daily habit. Then it went from one a day to two, sometimes three. Sound familiar???

Between sodas and coffee, I rarely drank any water so I recently decided to stop that habit. Not to suggest I'll never have another one, but it is not a healthy choice for me so I want to scale it back to an occasional 'indulgence'. Also, it seems to increase my sugar cravings. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

MaraFaith
on 11/7/15 10:02 am - denham springs, LA

My NUT says that carbonation can stretch your sleeve or pouch, I tried getting by with fruit flavored Sparkling Ice, but she said to skip on those as well. Just don't make it a habit and you will do fine. What she suggested is not to buy carbonated beverages and to instead have them only while on an outing such as ordering one at a restaurant. I plan on just drinking water or tea to curb my Coca-Cola addiction. 

Good Luck!

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

MaraFaith
on 11/7/15 10:04 am - denham springs, LA

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

Angecakes
on 11/7/15 11:40 am - Spokane Valley , WA

Good job.  I don't think drinking carbonated anything is a good idea.  I gave up pop  7 years ago after my dentist told me it was destroying my teeth.  Instead of flavored carbonated water, you should (if you haven't) try fruit infused water - you put fruit, in your water for natural flavoring.  We don't need anymore artificial crap in our bodies!  If you had a problem with pop addiction before, I think it would be dangerous to play with that fire.  It might trigger some old habits and that would be disappointing for you.  I know the pain of losing carbonation.... But it's a small price to pay for a better life (and better dental check ups!).  :)  That's my opinion anyway.  

~Angecakes~

32 years old; Height: 5'6.5";   4 Wks Pre-op: 10/14/15 - 312 lbs with BMI 55

Surgery Date: 11/11/15 -  271 lbs;  3 Wks Post-op: 12/02/15 - 253 lbs with BMI 44 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 11/7/15 4:49 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Well I drink carbonated drinks almost every day, but they're mostly Monster sugar free drinks, or I'll take crystal light & mix it with Pellegrino water. I wasn't told to avoid carbonated drinks, but early out, my surgeon mentioned to let it air out some. I know early on it was hard to drink, but nowadays I don't have a problem with it, but I sip my drinks, not gulp them down like I did in the past.

Do what your Dr says but if you're cleared for it, I'd try the seltzer water first & sip n see how you do.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

psychoticparrot
on 11/7/15 5:27 pm

I've had a few sips of diet Pepsi from time to time, but never drink more than that because I can now taste the chemicals in it. I generally stick to iced herbal teas, spring water, chai, and an daily cup of black, unsweetened coffee with my vitamins. Can't say anything about carbonated waters as I've never had them, even pre-op. 

If you're doing well without the diet soda and don't miss it, don't bother!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

msfitzy
on 11/9/15 1:24 pm
with

I use to live on Dr. Pepper.  I often joked that if your body was made up of mostly water, mine was made up of Dr. Pepper.  The day before my 2 week pre-op diet, I had my last Dr. Pepper.  I'm 12 weeks out from surgery and although I miss them, it's not a craving.  I think I just miss the idea.  I did try a sip of some last weekend and it about made me throw up.  It tasted HORRIBLE!  My dr says they are off limits forever.  I personally can't stand to drink anything other than water these days.  I even tried hot chocolate one day and could only manage about 2 sips before it made me ill.  Water all the way now!

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

-Flo-
on 11/9/15 2:18 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I drink something with carbonation every day with no problems.

Most Active
Recent Topics