Newbie Question

unc4mee
on 11/4/15 9:23 am
with

Good morning all,

Here is my story ... I am 42 - Starting weight 210 - current weight 205 - I have two nutrition classes left before my Dr, can submit for approval. I have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. I am debating between the sleeve and the switch.

Can I get some feedback on

-low BMI appovals with Aetna

-which procedure would be best

Thanks a million

Tracy D.
on 11/4/15 9:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Good luck with Aetna - they are complete ********! "Approved" my hubby's surgery and then reneged and said his history of high b/p wasn't a co-morbidity because it was controlled with medication.

Thank god he was double-covered with my insurance or we would have been out-of-pocket for over $30,000. Whatever you get from Aetna, get it in WRITING!

As for your procedure choice, I can only tell you that personally I would never have gone the DS route with less than 100 lbs. to lose. It's a very complex surgery and has a higher complication rate than the sleeve.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lanca
on 11/4/15 11:10 am - Zachary, LA
VSG on 11/10/15

hi i am also 42 and i weigh 220 now i am having vsg surgery nov 10th. i have been researching this for over 5 yrs between the band, sleeve and rny. i after looking at everything reading a lot i decided on the sleeve. from what i have scene you absorb your vitamins better. a whole let less complications. short term and long term. but it is really up to you and your surgeon what is best for you. just do your research. lurk around on here you can learn a lot. good luck

mmsmom
on 11/4/15 11:35 am - Woburn, MA

I cannot think of one bad thing to say about the sleeve - it gets my vote.

VSG on 04/28/2014

paflyersgal
on 11/4/15 1:23 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I have Aetna, and I followed all their "rules" had to have a 6 month supervised diet with a nutritionist, which was offered right at the same office as my surgeon. They gave me no problems at all. Once I completed my 6 moths, it took them 4 days to approve my surgery. They paid for just about all of it. I think in the end I had a bill for about $200.00 or somewhere around there. I spent one night in the hospital. I went in for surgery at 9:30 am on a Tuesday and was sent home at 2:00pm on Wednesday. My doctor recommended the sleeve surgery for me. I went in telling him I wanted the band, but he told me he felt the sleeve would be more of a benefit for me and that it was less evasive. I am going on 5 weeks post-op and I feel great! I've read other people say they got sick, and all other types of things, but for me.. and everyone is different.. the worst part of the whole thing was to gosh forsaken gas that I had the four days after surgery. Once I got the air moving, it was smooth sailing! Good luck with everything! I wish you the best!!

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics