9 days post-op and frustrated

jdsiowa
on 11/4/15 6:56 am

I'm 9 days out and have only lost .6 pounds in the last 3 days. How is this possible? I'm getting my water and protein intake in. Feeling frustrated.

White Dove
on 11/4/15 6:57 am - Warren, OH

How much did you lose in the first six days?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jdsiowa
on 11/4/15 7:05 am

I've only lost 8 total since surgery date.

NerdySquirrel
on 11/4/15 7:39 am

Wow, that was great compared to what I lost in the first 9 days! You have to remember that they pumped you full of fluids and other stuff while you were in hospital. You are also very swollen internally. Chances are that you actually gained weight during your stay. My first 10 or 12 days were very slow, then suddenly I dropped 10 pounds.

I think it's pretty common to get "buyer's remorse" right after surgery - I know I did. Things weren't moving as fast as I hoped and I got frustrated quickly. It's important to remember to trust the process, and try not to get discouraged. The first 2 months are challenging. You'll likely hit a stall in a few weeks as well, and it may last a few weeks! This is why it's important to take measurements and do other things to monitor your progress, because the scale may not move, but you may lose inches during this time.

Hang in there!

HW: 378 | 1st Consult: 363 | Surgery: 339 | CW: 182

"We all have two lives. The second begins when we realize we only have one."

White Dove
on 11/4/15 8:17 am - Warren, OH

More than most. You are doing great.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

FuturePinUp
on 11/4/15 7:36 am

.6 pounds in 3 days is great!!! There's no reason to feel frustrated when a) Your body is still recovering after a major procedure so it's a wonky time anyway, and b) you're still losing!

How about the first 6 days post-op? You have to have realistic expectations and you can't expect to lose the weight overnight. A loss is always a success. Also, maybe it would give you more peace of mind to only weigh yourself once a week? That way you don't obsess over the day-to-day numbers that can be impacted by anything including how much water you had, how much you're retaining, when you last ate, when you last pooped, what time you went to bed, etc.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

MaraFaith
on 11/4/15 7:56 am - denham springs, LA

Have you ever recieved IV fluids before and gained? If it helps, it feels like every time I stay over night in a hospital I gain 10lbs just from the fluids they pump into me. You could just have that type of body that retains water. I promise when you weigh again in a few days you will be happier with the scale. 8.6lbs in 9 days is great. Hang in there :)

HW:362 SW:345 CW:287 GW:170 Surgery Date: 11-11-2015 with Dr. Bellenger

jdsiowa
on 11/4/15 8:36 am

I just put on a shirt and realized it is loose! Might be the last time I wear it. Loose around tummy and arms - that's a good feeling! I need to forget the numbers on the scale and weigh in once a week. Thanks for the encouragement!! I appreciate all of your comments.

Tracy D.
on 11/4/15 8:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

8 lbs. in 9 days is actually pretty awesome. Getting anxious and frustrated causes stress in your body and can actually slow your weight loss. Breathe...

If you are going to let the scale dictate your happiness and well-being, then please stay off of it. It's just not worth the mental anguish.

Believe me when I say that during the first 6-9 months post-op you pretty much can't screw this up as long as you follow your doctor's guidelines. And it sounds like you are.

All the best - hang in there!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 8:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Did you buy the extended warranty?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics