Pre-op Progress.. Needing some encouragement.

Amy_Rod618
on 11/2/15 8:56 pm
VSG on 02/08/16

So I am moving along with all my pre op requirements, but I just feel like it's taking so long!! Was hoping surgery would end up being before the year was over but with how things are going I'm thinking it won't be till after the first of the year. I just hope it will end up being in January and not later. I just don't remember the process being this long and tedious when I had my band.

So far I have gotten my cardiology clearance, pulmonary clearance, see the psychiatrist once and have my second appointment scheduled, also have seen my nutritionist once and have another appointment scheduled. The other day I had my upper GI series and this week have to get some fasting labs done. I see my surgeon again this Thursday Nov 5th. He had asked me at my consult in Sept to lose 5 lbs before I see him again,and I am struggling more than ever to lose those measly 5 lbs.

I'm sorry I know I'm complaining, but for some reason I've just been feeling down about the whole process. I can't really explain why. I'm excited for surgery to happen and so ready to make this huge change in my life so I don't know why I'm feeling this way. I try to talk to my husband about things but he just doesn't understand.

Thank you for reading my rant. I do feel a bit better when I come on here and read all the posts about how well people are doing, it helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

LS2dv8
on 11/3/15 12:46 am

It is a long process. Mine took right at 6 months!

Just remember to breathe and take each day as it comes. Pre op I just focused on the info they gave me . I had 4 months of nutrition :) so I had lots to review

Hugs, just take each day as it comes and make the best choice you can

Good luck

LS2DV8

Mary Gee
on 11/3/15 2:13 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

It does seem to take forever to get through the pre-op stage, Amy. Very frustrating - but there's no getting around it. Hang tough - keep coming here and reading and posting. January will be here before you know it!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

ocean4dlm
on 11/3/15 2:42 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Look at this time as a gift. Detox from simple carbs and sugar. Practice cutting and chewing and not drinking before, during , after meals. Increase your water intake and exercise. Not only will you lose weight, you'll be practicing skills for your sleeve's healthy life.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/15 4:11 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great advice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 11/3/15 4:10 am - Warren, OH

Don't wait to start your new life. Surgery is just one of the tools that will help but I started with my post-op diet six months before surgery. I gave up caffeine, soda, sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, corn, peas, bread, cereal, noodles, pasta, cookies, doughnuts, cakes, pies and candy.

My meals were meat and non-starchy vegetables. I tracked all of my food and added exercise to every day. I weighed myself daily. I drank a lot of water, Crystal Lite and sugar free juices. My body was strong and healthy and surgery was easy. There were no changes to be made to my diet after surgery except that I ate much smaller portions.

Starting your new lifestyle today will get rid of those five pounds in about a week. Continuing with the new lifestyle will make surgery successful.

I highly recommend researching the Atkins Induction phase and following that for two weeks. I predict you will lose at least 10 pounds if you follow it faithfully. You will have more energy and never be hungry. Atkins is a diet where you eat as much as you want. You do not weigh or measure your portions but you only eat the foods on the plan. It is an excellent way to de-carb and start losing quickly.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/15 4:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Not only will your husband and your family and friends not understand, they'll get really tired of hearing about it. Even if they are really kind, supportive, and generous people. One of the things we tend to do, as a group, is talk about all of this, endlessly. We talk about all the hoops we have to jump through pre-op. We talk about the surgery itself. We talk about food, eating plans, eating stages.

A lot of us discover that people start walking away when they see us coming. They start to hate hearing us talk about this crap. Some of us imagine that they are jealous because we look so fabulous. They're really just bored silly.

Try to minimize that if you can. This is a great place to talk about all of that stuff. Go to local meetings if you have them. But try to spare the nerves of your loved ones a little.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Minkey
on 11/4/15 1:32 pm

Reminds me of Howard on Big Bang Theory when he came back from space. Everything was brought back to his experience. This site is a good place to vent and be understood. Someone has been through the same things you are going through and can help you get past the "demons" that await all of us at one time or another. Hang in there!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 1:36 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, exactly! There is a limit to how much people want to hear.

6'3" tall, male.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/3/15 8:24 am - MI

Good things come to those who wait....or something like that. I went thru a six month process with NUT, Psych, Exercise and clearances. I thought it was great and it got me prepared mentally and physically to go thru surgery. I'm glad I wasn't rushed and I think by taking the time and investing in my health before surgery and learning as much as I could has led to me being successful after surgery. Trust the process and your almost to the finish line.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Recent Topics