Scale -aholic

LS2dv8
on 11/2/15 4:20 am

Ok I get on a scale everyday. Even at my heaviest weight. What is a realistic frequency to way myself? I am changing so many things about myself. ... let's add this to the list

Thoughts?

LS2DV8

Gwen M.
on 11/2/15 4:31 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I weigh myself every day after my morning poop. (If I don't poop, I don't weigh.). I use trendweight.com and this combination has worked well for me.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/2/15 4:13 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Geeeeeeeze, Gwen. I do exactly the same. No poop, no scale. I thought I was the only one Fortunately I'm generally regular since I take Miralax and fiber supplements.

My therapist recently asked me how often I weigh myself and I told her everyday. She treats anorexics and bulimics as well as binge eaters like me, and she said that she discourages the anorexics/bulimics from weighing daily. In fact, they tend to weigh themselves several times a day, then take immediate action like intense exercise if the scale goes up. She said binge eaters seem to use the daily weighing as a method to self monitor and correct.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 11/2/15 4:27 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm also super regular! So it's rare when I have to skip a morning weigh in.

That's really interesting what your therapist said, it makes a lot of sense to me!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mmsmom
on 11/2/15 4:49 am - Woburn, MA

My therapist says weigh weekly during weight loss phase and daily during maintenance. I understand this as you can make yourself crazy during the weightloss phase. However, I weighed myself daily and continue to (regardless of poop status, lol).

What I did do was keep a small notebook in the bathroom and log my weight on Monday mornings. Sometimes when we weigh daily we don't realize that we are actually down more than we think and the weekly tally works for me. I continue to do it in maintenance just because it works. Good luck - the scale can make you crazy!!

VSG on 04/28/2014

sds0029
on 11/2/15 4:53 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I have weighed weekly but shift to daily when scale not moving so I can make adjustments.

Chanti_
on 11/2/15 4:58 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

A Thursday was my day of surgery so I only record my weight change once a week on Thursdays. My doc recommends not to weigh more then once a month (if we must) and to go by the fit of my clothes. Well that is never going to happen.

I really try to stay off the scale, as small fluctuations day to day are not a very accurate way to gauge true loss, or gain for that matter. That being said, I find myself caving at least every 3rd day. It's irrational, but I have to know up or down.

So many factors influence the number, PMS, hydration being two of the major ones. I find though that the more I weigh in the more I get obsessed with checking the number, even to the point of assessing after every trip to the BR.

I'm really trying to shoot for just once a week. Haven't managed it since my pre-op consultation. Someday I'll be secure enough to let the obsession with the scale go. But I'm not there yet.

Ready2goNOW
on 11/2/15 5:51 am

I got rid of my scale years ago as I 'climbed' up the mountain to my highest weight. I had realized during my gaining/dieting years the scale ruled my emotions...I would reward myself with food if I lost and comfort myself with food if I gained.

Losing and maintaining our weight loss is crucial to success. However, I use my clothes and food diary to keep me on track. and then just get weighed at doctor visits visits which I have monthly. This keeps my focus on my eating rather than the scale numbers...which will fluctuate like everyone says.

Good luck on finding a system that works for you!

Kathy

Wyldblu
on 11/2/15 6:21 am

Something I posted not too long ago, may apply here:

As a previous lap band veteran, I had my fair share of stalls. Eagerly weighing myself every morning, and then, just once a week was either elating, or devastating, depending on which way the numbers rolled, or didn't Finally, I came up with an idea...not easy to make yourself do, but if you find yourself a slave to the scale and its results, this might work for you. I put my scale in the trunk of my car. The ONLY time I would weigh myself was if my clothes or belt made the first move. In other words, if the clothes I put on fit me looser, or...gasp...tighter (very rarely), I would get out the scale and weigh myself, usually the next morning...to keep track of progress or gain. If the clothes or belt fit me exactly the same...the scale remained in the trunk of my car.

As people who have struggled with weight issues for so long, we tend to take immense joy, and get a self esteem boast each time the scale drops a fraction of a pound. We KNOW the battle and what we have done to become healthier. We want results...and we want them NOW.

However, the numbers on the scale don't necessarily accurately portray what we are losing in terms of weight. It doesn't take into account the inches that may be coming off, even if your scale isn't moving, or has moved up a half pound.

Do we need to keep track of our weight progress? Of course. We need that reminder that our goal is due to a new lifestyle of compliance, trial and error. But, many of us become a slave to the scale, letting it dictate our success or failure and the emotions and low self esteem that can bring.

If this is you, you might benefit from my idea. Ultimately, I left my scale in the trunk of the car as my clothes became looser and looser, remembering maybe once a month to take it out. As I neared my goal, the numbers on that scale meant FAR less to me than the fact that I could almost run upstairs without being out of breath, that my reflux and GERD was gone, and I just felt healthier and more confident than I had felt in YEARS.

Wyldblu

FuturePinUp
on 11/2/15 6:46 am

I weigh myself every 3-4 days, but only have it "count" once a week, on Wednesday mornings. Sometimes I do think my relationship with the scale has only gotten unhealthier as that number can really either make or break my whole mood, but I also feel like I need it to keep myself in check.

Yep, I am one of those people who will be freaking out if I "only" lost 2 lbs. one week as opposed to my more customary 3-4. I think it's a healthy fear to have though, because I want so badly for this surgery to finally be the answer to my 20-year weight struggle, and I DO get scared if I don't see the scale moving, and re-evaluate my behaviors: What did I eat? Did I move enough? Etc.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Recent Topics