Spouse Support

texasbumpkin
on 11/3/15 1:11 pm
VSG on 10/06/15

I understand how your husband feels. I too am a RN, and see the worst case scenario in the hospital. Your husband has too also take into account the effects of medical issues that are causing you to consider having the surgery. It is a risk to reward scenario that he also has to look at.

BankerBethany
on 11/4/15 5:12 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

This is something that my husband and I disagree on. I believe the risks do not out weight the rewards. I also think my husband just can not get past the idea that all surgery comes with risk of death and unless the surgery is a matter of life or death then it is not worth it, which again I feel it is a matter of life or death over the long term scenario. Thanks for your insight as a RN's perspective.

hollykim
on 11/3/15 1:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 3, 2015 at 6:58 PM Pacific Time, BankerBethany wrote:

Hello Everyone-

I have recently been researching and think I have made the decision to go with weightloss surgery to help me overcome new health issues. My question or issue is that I can't seem to get my husband on board with me.

My husband works in a hospital ICU department and due to HIPPA he can't not disclose specifics but says he has treated patients that have had complications from WLS. I don't know if it is sleeve patients or bypass patients, or something else. He had made it very clear that he does not want me to have the surgery and that he does not see the benefits out weighing the risks.

I told him that I have done research on the risks and I believe that if I don't do something to change my lifestyle I will not be here to see our children graduate high school or to enjoy all the fun things we have planned for retirement in 30 years! He has asked me to come to the hospital and join him in the medical library so he can show me the real statistics in the scholarly journals. I have told him I that I would read the articles but I am not sure if they would change my decision.

My husband also says that he believes I can loose the weight without surgery and he would be willing to work with me at non surgical options. I strongly disagree with him on this because I have tried and I may loose 25 to 50 pounds but then I gain it back and plus some. This suggestion is coming from a man who runs 8 miles every day on his days off. I myself workout but I can't even run a mile. I have agreed to work with him on cleaning eating in our household. I feel this will help me prepare for the pre-op diet and post-op diet.

I have also invited my husband to attend the consultations with the two doctors that I am considering. I am not sure what else I can do to help my husband feel more comfortable about this journey with weightloss.

Has anyone else had a spouse that was not on board because of the medical risks? Has anyone had a spouse that works in the medical field and was on board with the surgery?

I appreciate any insight you might have. Thanks!!!

is he a nurse or doctor?

BankerBethany
on 11/3/15 4:05 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

He is a ICC (ICU) nurse. He sees the worst of the worst.

SDenae
on 11/3/15 1:16 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

Hi.

I'm only 6 weeks out from my VSG surgery, so I haven't really had time to display some of the complications that your husband may be talking about, but I just wanted to let you know that I was in the same boat as you concerning my reasons for getting the surgery. I am not even 40 years old yet and I was an out of control (T2) diabetic with HBP, PCOS, and cholesterol issues. Every. Single. Person who died on my mother's side of my family, in my lifetime, died of diabetic complications, usually stroke, and they all died in their 50's and 60's. My own personal opinion? I wouldn't even make it that long.

I knew that surgery came with possible complications, but I also knew with absolute certainty that staying fat and that kind of diabetic would kill me. The odds are with me that this surgery won't kill me and may actually enable me to live longer.

My suggestion: I had to do 3 months of supervised weight loss before I could be approved for surgery. The clinic that I used had doctor-supervised (what they called) medical weight loss and they also had surgical weight loss. Try to find a clinic like that, if you can. Make a deal with your husband that you will do the medically supervised program for X-amount of time and allow him to work with you on the exercise, but if you don't lose X-amount of weight (the doctor should be able to tell you how much you can expect to lose in that time frame if you follow his/her plan) then you can switch to the surgery option.

Alternative: If your insurance won't pay for the doctor-supervised weight loss option, agree to sign up for Weigh****chers or some similar program that provides you with nutritional guidance and weighs you once in a while, so that you are forced to see your weight loss/gain. On that plan, I would set my weight loss goal at 1 pound/week. After 3 months, if you haven't lost at least 12 pounds, then you get to switch to surgery.

Just make sure that you give it a real try.

Good luck! I hope you and your husband can come to a compromise.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

BankerBethany
on 11/4/15 5:17 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

Thanks for your comment. I would agree with you about the surgery enabling me to live longer and hopefully kick my heath issues to the curb.

I believe my insurance will require 6 months of supervised medical weightloss. I have a goal for me to hit in the next 6 months but even if I hit that goal I am so scared that I will easily revert to old habits and gain it back, just like I have done in the past. I feel that the surgery is a tool to keep me accountable for my weightloss and maintenance better then just my own self resolve.

Thanks again. I too hope my husband will compromise with me on this.

Gwen M.
on 11/3/15 3:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Try to remember that he doesn't get to control the choices you make with your body. You don't need to convince him that you're making the right choice - it's your choice to make.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

BankerBethany
on 11/4/15 5:26 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

Thank you Gwen- You are completely right. I did ask him last night when he came into the bedroom and asked if I wanted to continue our discussion about the surgery because he was going to be working the next three overnights and would not be around to talk about it. During this discussion I asked him "if I choose to follow my heart and have this surgery without his blessing, would leave me". He got really quiet and then said that he doesn't think adding stress to our already stressed marriage is a good idea. First off, I think he is grasping at straws here because I didn't know that we had a "stressed marriage". Second off if his reason for him not wanting me to have the surgery is because I could die and I would leave him and our two children then I don't know how he could just walk away assuming I went through with and made it through the surgery! I can't quite get a handle on what is really bothering him.

I have decided divorce or not- that I am going to pursue this and if he loves me like he says he does he will support me. Supporting me does not mean he has to agree with it, or like that I am doing it, but it means that he will stand beside me just like I have done with him over many different situations these last seven years.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/3/15 4:57 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I would imagine in a hospital ER a staff member sees a lot of horrific injuries, but you really can't base your outcome on that.. those are worst case scenarios. There are a lot of complications from many things.. driving a car, having a baby, having a c-section, any surgery has the possibility of complications. Doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't have the procedure, just be aware and educated.

He sounds scared for you.. I would take him in for consults, education classes and talk to the Dr.

I am sure they are used to dealing with spouses who aren't thrilled and might have additional tools to help him cope.

Good Luck!

BankerBethany
on 11/4/15 5:32 pm
VSG on 04/11/16

Thanks for your comment. He does not want to go to the consult but I think I will still bring this up to the surgeon and see what him and his staff have dealt with in the past. I am sure they have some good statistics that he can give me to show my husband.

Most Active
Recent Topics