Calorie Conundrum

wkb2texans
on 11/4/15 7:25 pm, edited 11/4/15 11:25 am

The body is VERY resilient and self protective. After a long stretch of eating just 600-800 calories a day, the brain says, "Hey, we're going to starve to death if we don't do something." So, the metabolism slooooows down and the body conserves its energy/fat. That's why it's so important to keep the exercise going (45 minutes a day, 5 days a week) ... and to ensure you're getting all your protein.

Spencerella
on 11/4/15 7:36 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I don't want to hijack this post, so I'll keep my response short. The 'starvation' theory has been thoroughly debunked in recent years :-). For most Bariatric patients, there's no reason they can't stay on a low calorie regime for quite some time.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

frisco
on 11/4/15 10:31 pm
On November 5, 2015 at 3:25 AM Pacific Time, wkb2texans wrote:

The body is VERY resilient and self protective. After a long stretch of eating just 600-800 calories a day, the brain says, "Hey, we're going to starve to death if we don't do something." So, the metabolism slooooows down and the body conserves its energy/fat. That's why it's so important to keep the exercise going (45 minutes a day, 5 days a week) ... and to ensure you're getting all your protein.

I totally agree with the exercise part, even if it's just walking.

But, I think it's much more common for people to run out of commitment and compliance way before any kind of starvation mode might kick in.

The brain says, "Hey, look.... cookies, I like cookies".....

WL slows mainly because as we lose weight our bodies become much more efficient and requires way fewer calorie to operate. After losing 100lbs. just think how many more calories you would burn if you carried a 100lbs. backpack around 24/7.

Some main reasons why WL slows/stops. (you don't have to believe me, I'm not asking for that.... do your own research)

• 1000 to 1200 cal programs
  • Adding calories the further out you get
  • Running out of commitment and compliance

Hope this helps.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

LuckyDuck
on 11/4/15 7:26 pm

Thank you EVERYONE so much for your thoughtful and well-written replies!! I appreciate it so much! :)

For last three days I have been tracking, I've been at about 950. I am realizing which foods are high in calories but don't fill me up. Maybe 3 months ago they would have, but they don't anymore. My Simply Protein bars are the biggest culprit, I think - 15g protein, but 150 calories (and 16g carbs and 1g sugar) but they are so convenient and I have a long commute right in the middle of one my mealtimes. I still cannot eat enough at one meal to sustain me to the next one. Right now I eat about 6 small 150-200 calorie meals per day, but I really need to keep each meal at 150 or less to keep my calories in the right place.

One great thing about being super scrupulous these last couple days - I'm starting to realize what "satisfied" feels like, as opposed to "full". I think these last couple months I had been eating to what my brain thought was the proper amount, or what I emotionally wanted, and that was too much. I was feeling uncomfortably full. Like tonight, we had Chinese. I measured out my chicken at 100 grams. When I looked at that pathetically small amount in the bowl - and I was hungry! - I thought, that's not enough. I need more. But when I sat down and ate it, slowly, it took me almost 45 minutes to eat it all and I was totally satisfied.

This is such a huge fight and huge battle. I didn't really want to feel like I was "dieting" - I wanted to live like a "normal" person, just in smaller amount. But I see I can't do that....yet. I'm still in the weight loss phase and have to eat accordingly. I guess when I'm finally done I can start eating more variety and balance my maintenance.

I have to ask, though - it's been 6 months. I'm getting tired of chicken breast and the occasional vegetable (hey, if I could keep to a diet for longer than 6 months before, I wouldn't have had to have surgery!). What do you all eat that's low in cals but still delicious? Even a burger, while high in protein, is also high in calories. How do you keep to, say, 700 calories?? I feel like it's impossible. Do you only eat chicken and eggs?

Thanks again everyone! So glad I posted for support, I was feeling totally overwhelmed and lost!

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

Spencerella
on 11/4/15 7:42 pm, edited 11/4/15 12:03 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

You're on the right track! I ate all types of meat and fish during my weight loss phase (actually never ate chicken breast because I couldn't tolerate it). Almost any type of meat at 3 oz portion is well under 300 cals so things balance out over the course of a day. Im not a cook so my meals were very basic. I'm sure others will chime in with more specific ideas.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

NYMom222
on 11/4/15 7:44 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Both the VSG and the RNY Boards have 'what are you eating?" daily posts.... check them out. At my surgeon's office the diet is the same for both. Many people list their calories and stats so you can see how different foods work into a plan. There are plenty of posts out there, so do some perusing....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Maria27
on 11/5/15 6:37 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

The best protein bars I've found are Pure Protein. They have about 190 calories and 20 grams protein depending on flavor. I only eat 1/2 at a time. Some of my go tos are part-skim mozzarella, greek yogurt, deli ham, tuna (with greek yogurt instead of mayo), chicken salad (with greek yogurt, slivered almonds, and just a couple of dried cranberries), chick peas, cashews, and eggs. I also started making my own chicken jerky. One of my favorite things is Chicken Shawarma from a local Mediterranean restaurant. It's still chicken, but it is delicious. One order lasts me about four meals.

The biggest thing that helps me stay on track is delaying my first solid meal of the day. I drink a protein shake in the morning, but wait to eat solid food until lunch. I find that as soon as I eat that first meal, I start getting hungry. If I wait until later in the day to eat, I have a much easier time keeping my calorie count low. This doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me. Eating six times a day was a disaster for me, so I decided to limit it to four times plus a protein shake.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Tracy D.
on 11/5/15 7:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Fish is an excellent source of protein and very low in calories.  Salmon, tuna, all kinds of whitefish, scallops, shrimp, etc.  And delicious! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

White Dove
on 11/5/15 3:17 am - Warren, OH

My goal weight is 136.  To maintain I stay at 1400 calories a day.  To lose weight I stay at 900 calories a day and lose one pound a week.  Exercise makes no difference for me.  I don't drink protein shakes and stick to steak, pork, chicken, turkey and fish for my protein.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LuckyDuck
on 11/8/15 11:13 am

Hey all, don't know if it's the cycle starting/calorie counting or what, but I lost 3lbs. since Friday! I haven't seen a loss like that in months!!! 

Personally, I think it's the calorie counting - the last couple months I haven't lost like this at all, no matter what time of the month it was.

Thanks again to everyone for fantastic advice and support!!

P.S. Why isn't my ticker updating properly?

29yo, 5'2" ? Sleeved 4-29-15 ? HW: 255.6 ? SW: 246.5 ? CW: 160 ? GW: 155.6

Most Active
Recent Topics