Calorie Conundrum

Shel25
on 11/8/15 12:07 pm

Hi Donna, 

Pork tenderloin doesn't need to go into slow cooker but my two favorites happen to be slow cooker recipes. I know that both of these recipes freeze great. 

My usual go-to is balsamic pork tenderloin http://addapinch.com/cooking/balsamic-pork-tenderloin-recipe /

One I am practicing with is a chipotle pork tenderloin.  You should know that the recipe I am using was written for beef but I am substituting pork tenderloin. I will use the same timing that is suggested for the balsamic pork tenderloin above rather than whatever the recipe says to do for beef.   I don't brown the meat first because I am just that lazy.  One other change is that I use the entire 7 oz can of chipotle and adobo sauce because it didn't have enough chipotle flavor with the original recipe in my opinion.   I do take the seeds out of about half of the peppers.  All that said, here is the general (beef-based) recipe: http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/chipotles-copyc at-barbacoa-recipe.html

And, as others have noted in pork tenderloin posts, you can buy lots of pre-marinated pork tenderloins in pretty much any grocery store. They can easily go into the oven and I think I have heard even stove top?  Super tasty and super easy.  

Hope this helps!    Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Donna L.
on 11/8/15 2:31 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thanks Shel:)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Spencerella
on 11/4/15 9:10 pm, edited 11/4/15 1:11 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

My oh my Shel25 I'm hijacking too because your stats are freakin' awesome! You've kept your approach super tight and it has paid off big time! Congratulations!!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Shel25
on 11/4/15 9:21 pm

Hey, thank YOU for being part of this community and providing inspiration!

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 6:09 pm

If my response doesn't sit well, just disregard all that I say. What I write is just my opinion - nothing more.

1.A NUT who would tell you not to bother tracking your food and just letting restriction do its job is very worrisome to me. For people who have been obese I believe it is critical that we weigh, measure, and portion and calculate calories and macro nutrients. Studies have proven that obese people in particular greatly underestimate calorie consumption. I've been tracking regularly for 4 years and I still have moments of lapse - especially with a calorie dense processed carbohydrate. What do you mean a single chocolate truffle has more calories than 4 oz of chicken breast?????

2. Exercise calculators overestimate calories burned. I never added back calories for my exercise. During my initial weight loss phase I was an avid exerciser. I exercised 5-6 days per week and burned a boat load of calories. I still stuck to 700-800 calories per day at 6 months out.

3. Exercise is great, but don't count on it to help you lose weight. Count on it to help you maintain muscle, which will keep your metabolism higher. About 99% of weight loss is dependent upon what you put in your mouth. Exercise about 1%. You can exercise your butt off, but if you eat too much (even great healthy VSG appropriate food) you won't lose weight.

4. Want to kick start your weight loss and lose the hunger? Cut out the carbs - big, big time. Go back to 40 carbs maximum per day and eat super clean for three days. Pound the water back during those days and just power through the hunger and the cravings. CUT OUT ALL SUGAR. Sugar hides in so many places we don't even realize it. Read your labels. Even most beef jerkies are loaded with sugar. It sucks! Sugar will add to the feelings of hunger. Meat and veggies and protein drinks for three days. Lots of water, too. Your restriction should kick back in with strength.

5. Up your protein to a minimum of 80 grams per day. Use a shake if you need to. Nothing wrong with those, IMO. I understand why many people say no shakes as soon as possible. IF those shakes are the only calories you drink - no worries.

6. Learn what whole, natural and unprocessed foods satisfy you and hold your hunger at bay. Check out Authoritynutrition.com for its list of 15 most filling foods. Some may not be VSG appropriate, but it's a good list nonetheless. Here's the link: 15 incredibly filling foods

7. Many people see an increase in capacity around 6 months. That's very normal. Your job is to work with it. You do not have to eat until full. Eat until you are satisfied. Listen very closely to your body and learn your signals for satiety. This took me several years because I was too damn ****y to actually be bothered with this task. Oh, how I wish I had known just how important knowing the subtle signs of satiety are. Those little signs are now some of the best tools I have in my arsenal against obesity. Slow down while you eat and really pay attention to how you feel physically. I can now tell when I'm satisfied well before my brain and stomach are communicating it to me.

You can continue to lose weight. Have no fear about that. It's up to you how you choose to do it. I wish you the very *******so want to tell you that all that I've written are things I have done myself. I struggled with emotional regain and it took me a while to get a hold of it. I'm on my way back down to goal (more than half way back) and live my program daily. I'm almost 4 years out, too. I've had 650 calories so far today in 4 separate meals and have not had anything more than normal hunger signals today. I will still eat dinner and a small snack and end up at around 900-1000 calories for today. If I can do it at 4 years out, you can, too!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 6:25 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You saved me a crapload of typing. I agree on all points.

Doctors and nutritionists who tell people to ignore calories, carbs, and just get a minimum of protein drive me crazy. It's just horrible advice.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Maria27
on 11/5/15 6:19 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Well said. I agree with Grim. I take advice from NUTs with a grain of salt because the majority of them have never been obese, so they just don't understand the obstacles that we face. Plus, look at their track record. There is a reason that they tell you to only expect to lose a certain percentage of your excess weight, and that's not good enough for me.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Tracy D.
on 11/5/15 7:41 am, edited 11/4/15 11:41 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

^^^ Everything this guy says -- EVERYTHING!  You can take this advice to the bank 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

frisco
on 11/4/15 6:17 pm, edited 11/4/15 10:18 am

You have done great, awesome 6 months !!!!

It may be time for a re-think.... re-start.

Your not alone..... many many many people have about the same story. The most common question I get is about WL slowing/stopping at about the 6 month mark.

And guess what..... most are on a 1000-1200 cal program.

Eating back calories doesn't really pertain unless your activities are athlete level.

The hard reality is..... if want to lose more weight and at a faster rate, your going to have to eat less calories.

I lost 190lbs. in about 13 months on 600-800 cals and had to be closer to the 600 number to lose the last weight.

Be obsessive and anxious if that's what it takes..... lose the weight first, than find your tolerances and balance point in maintenance.

Check out Shel25 in this thread..... she knows what's up !!!!

Edit: Kairk's post is so so right !!!

Hope this helps...

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Spencerella
on 11/4/15 7:08 pm, edited 11/4/15 11:11 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Great advice from Kairk and Frisco. Waaaay too many folks stop losing before they get to goal and it doesn't have to be that way. Keep your calories as low as possible (600-800) and use most of those calories to consume dense protein. Otherwise, you may be disappointed with your results.

Theoretically you can continue to lose weight indefinitely with the help of your sleeve, but it's unusual to see anyone reporting the loss of anything more than a few pounds after 18 mos or so. And people with lower starting weights stop sooner than that. What you don't want to happen is to end up 30-50 pounds from goal that far out because it's very difficult to finish the job after that. Not impossible, but an incredibly hard slog for sure.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active
Recent Topics