Honeymoon Phase

Aleyna1228
on 11/3/15 9:34 am

So I have seen several different posts about people still being in their honeymoon phase or how you need to make the most of it. Along with that I have seen various time frames from 6-18 months. I am just curious what the length of time is or if it depends on the person? Also how do you make the most of it? I am assuming it means to stick to the plan, eat right and exercise but thought I would get some input from everybody.

Happy Tuesday!

Aleyna

Age- 35 | 5'4" | Surgery VSG - 9/21/15

Highest/Consult- 250 | Surgery- 235 | Current- 143 | Goal- 145 |

| M1-22 | M2-10 | M3-13 | M4-13 | M5-13 | M6-10| M7 - 8| M8- 3| Total Lost - 107|

Reached goal in 7 months 1 week and now maintaining!

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/15 9:57 am

Ah, the Honeymoon Phase! Can be a hot topic. Basically, the Honeymoon Phase is the time period during which weight seems to fall off effortlessly. For me that was the first 5 months post op. Then the weight loss slowed down. However, I was only 10 pounds away from goal by that time, so it was understandable. My loss slowed from about 10-12 pounds per month down to 5 pounds per month the last two months.

The two surgeons for whom I have great respect refer to the Honeymoon Phase as the first 6 to 8 months depending on the person. What both also cite is that it is at around 6 months they see a lot of patients begin to suffer from "diet fatigue" and begin to slack off weighing food and tracking or start allowing old habit and even simple, refined carbs back in their daily diets. They both believe the behavior change has more to do with the Honeymoon Phase ending than anything metabolic. They also both remind patients that by 6 months out all swelling has subsided and capacity usually increases and you can physically hold about double what you could immediately post op. This allows for the consumption of more calories throughout the day.

Now fast forward 3.5 years. I had regain and am now in a losing phase. I am having absolutely no trouble losing weight AS LONG AS I STICK TO A VSG APPROPRIATE FOOD PLAN. My capacity is fully intact. I can eat about a cup of food by volume (as was intended by my surgeon). While I won't say that I am comfortable eating 600-800 a day any longer, I certainly am able to manage about 1200 calories per day and still lose well. (I'm a man.) I also know many people who have lost massive amounts of weight over much longer periods of time than a Honeymoon Phase would typically be.

In a nutshell, it's easiest to lose a lot of weight early out for several reasons. But WLS results are really about how you play the game and the strategies that you use to make it to your goal. There is no set point post op when losing becomes more difficult. Play a good game, you'll get the results you want.

mello93
on 11/3/15 10:42 am

Thank you very much for this!

FuturePinUp
on 11/3/15 11:24 am

Thank you for this post! I worry very much about currently being IN the honeymoon phase and then having things kinda stop for me once I am like 7-8 months out. Although I am eating on plan and keeping calories low, I'm just scared that yet again, I will be thwarted from getting to a normal weight. I guess it's just a mental result of consistently being on a diet that failed through most of my life. It's a nice little reminder that I'm in charge and I need to continue to work my tool and it will be good to me...even if my losses decrease due to getting closer to goal, etc.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Spencerella
on 11/3/15 10:54 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

As Kairk explained, it's generally described as the first 6 months or so after surgery. To build on that descriptor, I'd say it's the period when your motivation is the highest, your hunger is the lowest and your restriction is greatest.

In other words, it's the golden window in which we should maximize our weight loss efforts. That means keeping your calories as low as possible and using virtually all your calorie allotment to consume dense protein. You can worry about 'balancing' your diet later. I'm not aware of a single obese person who died from malnutrition in the first year after surgery ;-).

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Pamela M.
on 11/3/15 11:15 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

I lost 67 lbs. the first 6 months; however, I have only lost 14 additional lbs. in the last 8 months (I am 14 months post-op) for a total weight loss of 81 lbs. THE FIRST SIX MONTHS WERE GOLDEN. For me, my stomach was still healing and I was fanatical about sticking precisely to my surgeon's plan. After six months, appetite increased and I was able to eat 1 cup of food per meal without any discomfort. It is important to measure and weigh your food forever . . . this is a life-long journey . . . reaching goal for means : having a normal BMI and STAYING at a normal BMI until I die. That means making healthy food choices and proper portion control for the REST OF MY LIFE. This process never ends. Having surgery was just the first step. I have learned so much in the past 14 months. It has truly been an enlightening experience and I am still learning. Right now, popcorn at night is my biggest temptation . . . it's a journey. . . a very good journey! Best of luck to you.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

moviemum
on 5/9/16 8:15 pm

Thank you, am looking up this subject right now for reinforcement. Thanks for this and all of these great answers! 

happyteacher
on 11/4/15 3:05 pm

It just refers to the statatisical period most of us lose the weight in. There is nothing magical about it. What tends to happen is fatigue with the eating program, stopping exercie, etc. so the weight lost stops. It is not because all of a sudden we can't lose weight anymore. There have been many here losing well into the second year (and making goal).

The one caveat is that weight loss does tend to slow. This is more a product though of the fact that we are carrying around less, so need less calories to carry it around so to speak.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 11/4/15 4:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The honeymoon period was used initially when almost all WLS patients were gastric bypass. In addition to what folks above said, the honeymoon period also referred to the months where you were malabsorbing calories. The malabsorption gradually ends.

But really, most of the honeymoon period is in our heads. Think about married couples. For some people, the honeymoon seems to be over after a week. They start arguing, doing things behind each others backs, etc. For others, the honeymoon can last for years.

The WLS honeymoon will last as long as you can stick very closely to a good plan. Some start eating crap very early -- just a little at first. They can start gaining at 4 or 5 months. Others stick really closely to their plan for years. But for your average WLSer, by the end of the first year, diet and exercise fatigue sets in, and the honeymoon is over.

As Kairk said, you can always renew your vows after a rough patch. It's just a little harder.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
Recent Topics