Anyone get Medicaid or an Obamacare Plan to cover their Gastric Sleeve?

ireadalot2
on 11/1/15 5:31 pm

Particularly interested in Maryland, but open to hear all experiences!

How long did it take?

Was it hard to find a surgeon?

Lots of hoops to jump through?

Happy with results?

Angelinegetsrny
on 11/1/15 5:47 pm

I'm in New York, but it's worth responding!l

I have Obamacare (Independent Health) and approval took about a week from the time it was submitted. From there, surgery was scheduled in about 3 weeks.

The whole process too about 3 months from first submitting my papers to the bariatric surgeon to actually getting the surgery done.

I didn't have to do the pre-op 6 month diet which a lot of other health insurance companies require. Honestly, it went much smoother for me than people I've befriended who didn't have Obamacare.

Good luck with everything, I don't think you're going to have a problem!

mickeymantle
on 11/1/15 10:12 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

yes in Oregon

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

White Dove
on 11/2/15 1:22 am - Warren, OH

I live in Ohio where weight loss surgery is not covered by affordable care. Here is a list of states where it is required.

Arizona California Delaware

Hawaii Illinois Iowa

Maine Maryland Massachusetts

Michigan Nevada New Hampshire

New Jersey New Mexico New York

North Carolina North Dakota Oklahoma

Rhode Island South Dakota Vermont

West Virginia Wyoming

Even if not required by your state, your individual coverage might include weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 11/2/15 4:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Before you worry about how long approval takes, worry about if it is even covered. There are a gazillion different plans out there, and a lot more DON'T cover weight loss surgery than the plans that do. Before you lock yourself into a plan, make certain it will even be covered. Many people assume the coverage will be there, and are devasted when they find out it is not.

When you are 100% sure you'll be covered, then you can worry about the details.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

momof4mn
on 11/2/15 8:31 am - Minnetonka, MN
VSG on 12/10/15

I am in Minnesota and I am on MNSURE program through our state.

They submitted my prior auth last Tuesday and 2 days later I was approved. My surgery is set for Dec. 10th.

As far as lots of hoops to go through, mine was all dependent on the program and hospital I choose..

Ending up switching doctors within last month and very happy!! and scared!! and everything else inbetween!

Good luck, just keep pushing forward.

Stephanie

Age: 40 Height: 5'9" Highest Weight: 360 Current Weight: 326 Goal Weight: 170

Minkey
on 11/2/15 2:20 pm

I live in Ohio and have a MCO for Medicaid. They paid for everything, including all the heart tests, etc. I had to be monitored by a doctor for 9 months prior to their approval for surgery to prove I was serious about it, so it took 13 months from my first visit to the surgeon and my surgery date. It's worth it though. It was a long wait, but I'm feeling better and my clothes are getting baggy on me!!

GuyMontag
on 3/9/16 8:27 pm

I have Staywell/Wellcare/Medicaid in Florida.  I'm trying to get my surgery done at Tampa General Hospital and they have a list of things they are collecting to send to the insurance to try and get approval.  The list includes six months of diet classes, clearance from a nutritionist and psychologist.  I also had to get lab work done and submit my medical records to the hospital.  Once all of that is done I'm supposed to have one last meeting with the surgeon and then they submit my paperwork to the insurance for approval.  I've been told it takes about 14 days to hear back from insurance and then another 3-4 weeks to schedule the surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics