Burping and GERD

Donna L.
on 10/31/15 5:58 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Sooo, I hit my 4 month post-op mark this week, and I'm down 103 pounds!

I've been very lucky and had a good recovery for the most part. However, the past few weeks I've been burping constantly, even when I haven't eaten for hours. I have also been getting hungry on and off which I think is GERD. I see my bariatrician next week and I will call the surgeon most likely, but until then what can I do to minimize this? Is it happening because I'm eating more varied food? Still no caffeine and really no acidic foods, though.

I do already take a PPI daily (Dexilant), which worked amazingly well up until this past week. Ugh... it's especially annoying since I never had GERD regularly pre-op, and suddenly here it is.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

KathyA999
on 11/1/15 2:23 pm

i tried four PPIs, and played around with dosages also. The last one seems to be working well. Nexium, Prilosec OTC, then Dexilant. Each one would work nicely for about four months, then the GERD would start coming back. I finally landed on generic Protonix a few years ago, and so far so good. If you're like me, you may need to change your dosage or change to another PPI, or both.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Donna L.
on 11/5/15 3:13 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thanks, Kathy!  I will definitely give that a shot.  I am just frustrated since Dexilant is supposed to be the best.  Oh well.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

bridgesg
on 11/2/15 1:39 pm

You lost 103 since your surgery? That is awesome and amazing. What do you eat?

Donna L.
on 11/5/15 3:19 pm, edited 11/5/15 7:19 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Thanks! :)  My weight was 430 June 1st, my surgery weight 400 on the 22nd, and my weight today is 320 or so.

I eat protein first, mostly lean, and very little carbohydrate.  I typically eat under 800 kcal a day.  For breakfast I have a 30g protein shake.  I have 3-5 ounces of protein for lunch, and for dinner I have the same.  Sometimes I will eat 1/4-1/2 a sweet potato with chili and protein powder on top if I am desperately missing carbs (for dinner).  I often have to dip leaner meats in broth or yogurt so they digest more easily.

For snacks I eat light greek yogurt or string cheese for some extra protein.  If I eat out I will get grilled chicken sandwiches and eat them without the buns.  I usually don't have enough room for veggies.

Most Active
Recent Topics